cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user used to boost score.

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Authorized user used to boost score.

If you download the FICO8 product sheet on that website, you'll see a section "Protection from Authorized User Abuse".   

The FICO8 Score also includes a modification designed to help protect lenders from authorized user abuse....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:

If you download the FICO8 product sheet on that website, you'll see a section "Protection from Authorized User Abuse".   

The FICO8 Score also includes a modification designed to help protect lenders from authorized user abuse....

Right, and combine that with their press release (that they refactored that to not impact *legitimate* AU's) and how's it any different than what I stated earlier? Smiley Wink

        
Message 12 of 24
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Click on the FICO product Fact sheet. IE the PDF link on the left hand side.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was under the impression that the Equal Credit Opportunity Act forbade banks from ignoring Authorized User accounts in the scoring model...? Regulation B, Section 6...Google: Boost My Score and click on Articles/Recent News. FICO conceded to Congress that they would continue to consider the tradelines in a testimony to Congress in August 2009...no?

Message 14 of 24
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was under the impression that the Equal Credit Opportunity Act forbade banks from ignoring Authorized User accounts in the scoring model...? Regulation B, Section 6...Google: Boost My Score and click on Articles/Recent News. FICO conceded to Congress that they would continue to consider the tradelines in a testimony to Congress in August 2009...no?

The product sheet mentions that AUs are still includeds....however they state they they have built some kind of "AU fraud protection" into the calculations so that people who are piggybacking AU accounts ( non~relatives maybe...) may not see those accounts reflect in their FICO8 score.   

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

But it's not like the credit reports track who is/isn't related to whom to restrict unrelated AU's receiving the benefit from people paid for adding them to their credit cards. Right? The reports carry only very generic information. Do you think that this ambiguous "fraud protection" is just another PR tactic on FICO's part to scare consumers away from the practice because there isn't anything they can legally do to stop it? Even if the model could somehow choose to ignore an AU account from an unrelated primary, ignoring it would be illegal for a bank, according to ECOA. If an AU line is on the report, the score cannot ignore it. I believe that you are correct, however, in stating that if the application went into manual review, the underwriter could easily kick it out for the lack of primary activity, or some other reason, but couldn't legally decline based solely on the appearance of AU accounts. As far as the original poster in this thread is concerned, I think they are doing the perfect thing. Adding AU accounts from a friend AND applying for 2-3 HR tradelines of their own. Once the primary lines applied for season for 6 months, or so, they should be able to have everything in place for a lender to approve them for whatever loan their income can support.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thought... There aren't any mprtgage lenders out there using FICO8 because it wasn't approved by Fannie/Freddie, right?

Message 17 of 24
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thought... There aren't any mprtgage lenders out there using FICO8 because it wasn't approved by Fannie/Freddie, right?

I honestly don't know how ( or even if ) the scientists at FICO implemeted the "authorized user abuse" scoring,   I'm just trying to intrepret what the product sheet describes.   If they are checking AUs then very likely it is done via cross matching of accounts with names/address/etc...

I believe you are right about mortage lenders.....as far as I know the standard is the FICO04 scoring version.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. Although, when an AU tradeline appears on a credit report, the billing address appears with it...

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see how the FICO08 credit scoring model can determine who has a "valid" authorized user account from a sponse or parent to a child.  What happens if to a daughter's AU account from her father when she moves to a differrent state and get married.  If they are cross reference her name and address it's not going to match.  I don't see a way of them successfully determining a "valid" authorized user account.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.