Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto FICO score question

tag
IllinoisNative
Contributor

Auto FICO score question

I have one more payment due on my auto loan (YAY!)  which I'll pay off in August.  Does paying off an auto loan affect my auto FICO score?  My FICO has my auto enhanced FICO scores at over 700.  Will that drop with a paid off loan?  Or does that number stay high since I have a good history with my auto loan?  Currently, it's my only installment loan on my report so I'm expecting to take a hit for my credit mix.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Auto FICO score question

@IllinoisNative wrote:

I have one more payment due on my auto loan (YAY!)  which I'll pay off in August.  Does paying off an auto loan affect my auto FICO score?  My FICO has my auto enhanced FICO scores at over 700.  Will that drop with a paid off loan?  Or does that number stay high since I have a good history with my auto loan?  Currently, it's my only installment loan on my report so I'm expecting to take a hit for my credit mix.  Thanks.

It is well known that there is a possibiltiy, is some instances a high one, that once an installment loan is fully paid off it can negatively affect your score, esp. if you have no other installment loans. As an example:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Paying-off-my-car-loan-ruined-my-credit-S...

If you do a google search of myFICO.com you will see many instances of this.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 7
IllinoisNative
Contributor

Thanks!  I was expecting to take a hit for my credit mix due to my only installment loan being paid in full.  I just wasn't sure if that translated into my auto enhanced score taking the same hit. I was hoping not.  lol

Message 3 of 7
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@IllinoisNative wrote:

Thanks!  I was expecting to take a hit for my credit mix due to my only installment loan being paid in full.  I just wasn't sure if that translated into my auto enhanced score taking the same hit. I was hoping not.  lol

Well, I would assume that the auto enhanced score would be hit hardest since it was an auto loan that was closed - I don't know for sure but sounds logical.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@IllinoisNative wrote:

Perhaps one or both scores will take a (temporary) ding but you'll have one less debt and to me that's much more important.

Message 5 of 7
IllinoisNative
Contributor

I'm excited about having one less debt.  I'm putting that money straight into a savings account every month.  That's much more important.  I'm thinking of taking out a small loan that I don't need just to have a loan reporting.

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@IllinoisNative wrote:

I'm excited about having one less debt.  I'm putting that money straight into a savings account every month.  That's much more important.  I'm thinking of taking out a small loan that I don't need just to have a loan reporting.

That's certainly your decision but you need to decide if paying interest on a loan you don't really need is worth a few points.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.