Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan inquiry hit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan inquiry hit

Hello all, I have been working on my score for about 5 months and have gone from 617 to 662. I recently received a pre-approval for a house loan based on my 662. My wife's car died and we recieved financing for a new one with no problems. The inquiry for the car ... along with the pre-approval for the house about a month back dropped my score by 4 points! 2 questions: 1. how can you abtain necessary credit like mortgage and car without taking a hit. (We couldn't do all inquiries within the 2 weeks because we didn't know we would need a car) 2. How long will this 4 point loss stay on my report? I have to get this score back up above 660 before closing on the house. Thanks in advance for any help.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto loan inquiry hit

scorewatcher wrote:
Hello all, I have been working on my score for about 5 months and have gone from 617 to 662. I recently received a pre-approval for a house loan based on my 662. My wife's car died and we recieved financing for a new one with no problems. The inquiry for the car ... along with the pre-approval for the house about a month back dropped my score by 4 points! 2 questions: 1. how can you abtain necessary credit like mortgage and car without taking a hit. (We couldn't do all inquiries within the 2 weeks because we didn't know we would need a car) 2. How long will this 4 point loss stay on my report? I have to get this score back up above 660 before closing on the house. Thanks in advance for any help.

1. You can't. If you seek\apply for credit you get inqs which will impact your scores.

2. The inquiry stays on your reports for 2 yrs. But only impacts your score for 12 months, with the previous 6 months holding the most weight.

PS... I strongly discourage you applying for ANYTHING until you close on your home.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks friend, Does this mean my score might regain the 4 points in 6 months or will it be a full year?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inq usualy drops 2-5 points, and 4 points are normal. Just wait and see hpw your score will go 10-15 in next couple od months just after you start paing house and car.
Message 4 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, your score will increase once you start gaining positive history on the new Auto loan.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.