Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balances - Too Low?

tag
credit8502020
Established Contributor

Balances - Too Low?

Hi All! I'm working to get my balances low enough where I will receive the highest amount of points possible. I've been keeping them around 2%. However, I thought I read some time ago that there is sometimes an amount that is so low that it is counted as a $0 balance.

According to the scoring system is .5 or 1% just as good or better than 2%? 

Can anyone speak to the accuracy of this and perhaps what types of card, etc. this "rule" may have applied to? 

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balances - Too Low?

$1 on a major bank card works for me

Message 2 of 8
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous Ok. Thank you for your feedback! 

Message 3 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@credit8502020 wrote:

Hi All! I'm working to get my balances low enough where I will receive the highest amount of points possible. I've been keeping them around 2%. However, I thought I read some time ago that there is sometimes an amount that is so low that it is counted as a $0 balance.

Can anyone speak to the accuracy of this and perhaps what types of card, etc. this "rule" may have applied to? 

Thank you! 

2% is great. Go with that and you can't go wrong.

But remember that it's best for most accounts to have zero balance.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 8
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

Thank you! 

2% is great. Go with that and you can't go wrong.

But remember that it's best for most accounts to have zero balance.

@SouthJamaica Thank you for your feedback. Definitely. Next month, I'm planning to implement AZEO.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on the major bank card.  Some such as Cap One, BoA, Discover etc. have been known to "forgive" a $1 balance and report $0.  It's a safer move to go with something in the (say) $10-$20 range as that will be ideal on any limit card really from a $300 starter card up to a large 5-figure limit card.

Message 6 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think we've seen that $5 is safe for everything except for BoA's old Better Balance Rewards card. With that card, it's a good idea to leave at least $10 to avoid being forgiven.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit8502020 wrote:

Thank you! 

@credit8502020 balances are measured in dollars; utilization is measured in percentages. They are separate metrics and no one has demonstrated any utilization threshold below 5%. 

with that said, we don't know the balance thresholds, the first one maybe $100, maybe $500, I really don't know, but I always say $5-$20, you can't go wrong.

And you don't get a penalty for having 0% utilization; you get it for having $0 revolving balances. 😉

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.