Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC hack to boost score quickly

tag
cambia46
Contributor

CC hack to boost score quickly

A friend sent me a TikTok video of a "credit guru" sharing a CC hack with claims of it skyrocketing your score.  According to the video, significantly increase the balance of one of your credit cards (he actually suggested that going over 30% usage is optimal), let that balance report one cycle, then pay it all off the next cycle in 2 separate payments (15/3 rule).  While I kinda see the logic in this to some degree, as it relates to showing usage and the ability to pay off the balance in full, bI also know that it will depend on many other factors, such as overall utlization, credit balance, etc, which he failed to mention into the video.

I am curious as to whether anyone has tried the hack and if/how it affected their score (up or down).  If so, please share.  I’m trying to get my scores to 800 within the next few months in hopes of getting a a good rate on a business loan in the near future.  Currently my scores are TU 736/TQ 742/EX 735, so I'm not too far.  I just need a good increase to push me over. 

I’m currently at 12% usage ($5780) of $50,150 at last reporting, but since then I’ve used a few cards to fund the business for now, which has put me over 30% usage on 3 cards, with one being at 61%.  

Thanks for all input!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: CC hack to boost score quickly

Credit scoring is a snapshot in time.  While it depends on many factors, having utilization over 30% on a card will typically result in a score decrease and paying it off will result in a score increase.  But the simple act of doing so wouldn't increase the score.  You simply gained the points back because you lost them.  Multiple payments in a billing cycle make zero difference.  Ten payments or one payment result in the same change when a statement balance is reported.  (Exceptions are lenders who don't report on statement date or like Chase where paying to $0 at any time will result in the $0 balance being reported.)

Message 2 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston  wrote a more eloquent response than what I would have crafted, but he's spot-on. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 9
LP007
Frequent Contributor

Man, you already know what to do!

AZE'O'! All Zeros Except One. That 'O'ne should have1-6% (alledgedly) of that card's CL only.

Let that AZEO report properly in full.

BOOM!

Message 4 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry but that's nothing but bologna. There are no hacks to boosting your score. It's a marathon, not a race. Number of payments doesn't matter, only the reported balance at the end of the billing cycle. Keep reported utilization under 9.8% on ONE card, and keep all other cards at zero balance.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 9
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Once you build a credit file with at least 3 bank cards at AZEO and an installment loan, the only credit hack is time...

Accounts age while paid on time = score increase

derogs fall off = score increase

inquiries fall off = score increase

Around these parts, we call it 'The Garden".

Message 6 of 9
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston 

I am wondering what is it that makes us gain points, AAoA? Assuming everything else is in good standing, like DTI etc.

I think @ChargedUp answered my question. 👍

Message 7 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I doubt it would help your scores but it could help with CLIs on the cards you charge up quickly and payoff quickly.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@cambia46 wrote:

A friend sent me a TikTok video of a "credit guru" sharing a CC hack with claims of it skyrocketing your score.  According to the video, significantly increase the balance of one of your credit cards (he actually suggested that going over 30% usage is optimal), let that balance report one cycle, then pay it all off the next cycle in 2 separate payments (15/3 rule).  While I kinda see the logic in this to some degree, as it relates to showing usage and the ability to pay off the balance in full, bI also know that it will depend on many other factors, such as overall utlization, credit balance, etc, which he failed to mention into the video.

I am curious as to whether anyone has tried the hack and if/how it affected their score (up or down).  If so, please share.  I’m trying to get my scores to 800 within the next few months in hopes of getting a a good rate on a business loan in the near future.  Currently my scores are TU 736/TQ 742/EX 735, so I'm not too far.  I just need a good increase to push me over. 

I’m currently at 12% usage ($5780) of $50,150 at last reporting, but since then I’ve used a few cards to fund the business for now, which has put me over 30% usage on 3 cards, with one being at 61%.  

Thanks for all input!

That "hack" is complete baloney. All it will do is decrease your score in one cycle, and then restore it in another.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.