Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI -> 5 point gain?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

CLI -> 5 point gain?

A mysterious 5-point gain in EX FICO 8 appears to have resulted from one card's limit being increased from 25k to 40k.

The balance was slightly lower, and the limit increase lowered individual utilization on the card from 28 to 18%, but it was nowhere near my highest utilization card this month, since I have one at 80% and one at 38%.

Overall utilization remained steady at rounded 10% (actual 10.46% to 10.17%).

No inquiry dropped off.   [Oops. Sorry about that folks. An inquiry did drop off.]

No other aging factors since it wasn't new month.

All other accounts the same.

No change in reason codes.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI -> 5 point gain?

Odd gain, for sure.  Perhaps you've identified a 19% (18.9%?) threshold... a proposed point by another member a few days ago that I sort of laughed off Smiley Happy

Off topic to your thread here, but do you have an opinion SJ on highest individual utilization card(s)?  We were discussing this in another thread and my understanding was that your highest individual utilization card was considered secondary ding-wise following aggregate utilization.  I always thought any other individual card utilization outside of your highest didn't really "matter" aside from its impact on aggregate utilization.  I feel like you're a good person to comment on this since you routinely seem to have a good number of accounts with balances, sometimes with a couple at higher utilization such as you do now.

So, say you brought another card up to 80% utilization to match your already highest utilization card, but at the same time you lowered the balance(s) on other cards an equal number of dollars thus eliminating an aggregate utilization shift from the equation.  Would adding another high (but not higher) utilization account to the mix result in a [further] score ding?  I'm also assuming here that number of accounts with a balance remains the same.

Message 2 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Odd gain, for sure.  Perhaps you've identified a 19% (18.9%?) threshold... a proposed point by another member a few days ago that I sort of laughed off Smiley Happy

Off topic to your thread here, but do you have an opinion SJ on highest individual utilization card(s)?  We were discussing this in another thread and my understanding was that your highest individual utilization card was considered secondary ding-wise following aggregate utilization.  I always thought any other individual card utilization outside of your highest didn't really "matter" aside from its impact on aggregate utilization.  I feel like you're a good person to comment on this since you routinely seem to have a good number of accounts with balances, sometimes with a couple at higher utilization such as you do now.

So, say you brought another card up to 80% utilization to match your already highest utilization card, but at the same time you lowered the balance(s) on other cards an equal number of dollars thus eliminating an aggregate utilization shift from the equation.  Would adding another high (but not higher) utilization account to the mix result in a [further] score ding?  I'm also assuming here that number of accounts with a balance remains the same.

I have been told here that the highest utilization card is what controls in terms of scoring, so that with an 80% card in the running, my 38% card is not a factor.

However, one day I experienced an event which may have contradicted that teaching.  A score change appeared to be attributable to a utilization change in the second highest utilization account, which would have defied that principle.

I think that was before I was getting daily updates from experian.com, so, as you pointed out in the referenced thread, the observation may not have been pure.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, so nothing difinitive at this point.  In that thread multiple members made me feel like considering only the highest utilization card for "highest individual utilization card" was crazy, so I was trying to determine if my understanding all along was false.

Message 4 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha, so nothing difinitive at this point.  In that thread multiple members made me feel like considering only the highest utilization card for "highest individual utilization card" was crazy, so I was trying to determine if my understanding all along was false.

Right now, I'm leaning towards thinking that it's not true that only the highest individual utilization card counts in FICO 8 score.

And wondering if there's some other metric like 'percentage of accounts > 30%' or something.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ #of open revolvers please, and I'd like to know # above and below 30k CL pls.... or have we determined the new number since we found it was lower than 35k?

I'm kinda wondering if you were dinged by too many revolvers and when you just got a CLI over the "included" amount, it lowered your count of open "countable" revolvers. If so, maybe you just went back under a threshold #, causing 5 points to come back.....

Out there theory, but I'm not hearing any others and don't know what to think.
Message 6 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
SJ #of open revolvers please,

14/33

and I'd like to know # above and below 30k CL pls....

2 above 30k, 12 below

or have we determined the new number since we found it was lower than 35k?

I'm kinda wondering if you were dinged by too many revolvers and when you just got a CLI over the "included" amount, it lowered your count of open "countable" revolvers. If so, maybe you just went back under a threshold #, causing 5 points to come back.....

Isn't the countable threshold for 'accounts with balances' much higher than 40k in FICO 8?
Out there theory, but I'm not hearing any others and don't know what to think.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always thought it was much higher than $40k, something like $60k-$70k perhaps.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize. That was EX FICO 2, my bad. Back to the drawing board.
Message 9 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Well, after scouring the 2 reports I may have found the answer to this mystery:

The number of recent inquiries dropped from 6 to 5.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.