Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Account/Credit Card

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Charge Account/Credit Card

Are they created equal? Do they carry the same weight in FICO scoring?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge Account/Credit Card

Yes, both are considered revolving accounts.
Message 2 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Tuscani wrote:

Knew they were both revolving just wanted to find out if the store lines of credit or charge accounts carried the same weight as credit cards. Thank you Tuscani.
Message 3 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

Knew they were both revolving just wanted to find out if the store lines of credit or charge accounts carried the same weight as credit cards. Thank you Tuscani.

Pretty sure they do. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've actually read that many charge cards such as Amex don't report a high limit, only the high balance, so it's almost like a higher-class Cap One in how affects your score.
Message 5 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've actually read that many charge cards such as Amex don't report a high limit, only the high balance, so it's almost like a higher-class Cap One in how affects your score.

That was understood. Basically the bottom line is charge accounts are not looked upon like finance company debt but are on a par with run-of-the-mill credit cards. correcto? I'm only asking because nearly all of my revolving debt is charge account and not credit card. Sleepys, Walmart and 6th Avenue. One drawback I see right away is the fact you aren't going to get major CLI's from this group. Maybe from the higher line stores but not these mutts.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

devhip wrote:

A higher-class Cap One?  That's an oxymoron! Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A higher-class Cap One? That's an oxymoron! Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, really! It's like dressing up a pimp in a tuxedo. He looks like a gentlemen but someone is still gonna get pimped.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A higher-class Cap One? That's an oxymoron! Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, really! It's like dressing up a pimp in a tuxedo. He looks like a gentlemen but someone is still gonna get pimped.

What's in YOUR tuxedo? LOL
Message 9 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This is something I have been wondering about for a month.  Just received my new AMEX gold rewards plus card.  I have no idea how they can report a proper CL, seeing there is not one.  Not sure how FICO factors all of this.  I am fearful it will be reported as highest balance like Cap1 does. 

I would think FICO would give more weight to charge card like this versus a revolving Blue card.  Seeing that the cardholder must pay in full or they automatically default.  I would also think other creditors would see you as a very low credit risk with high capacity and character.  What do you folks think?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.