Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed card for upgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed card for upgrade

Hello, 

I recently requested to upgrade my credit card with my credit union to get 1% Cashback instead of their common 0% rewards. It is my only non cap one MasterCard. I found out in order to upgrade they closed my account as a consumer requested to close account at 5 months of age and started a new line at 1 month now. What is my long term impact on credit score? I know the closed account will continue to report for many years but I am not sure. 

I only upgraded to at least get some use out of it for if and when I use a MasterCard (possibly through plastiq) and just a card that has some good growth potential and and rewards. I needed to have a credit product to refi my student loans to build a better internal score. 

4 REPLIES 4
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Closed card for upgrade

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

I recently requested to upgrade my credit card with my credit union to get 1% Cashback instead of their common 0% rewards. It is my only non cap one MasterCard. I found out in order to upgrade they closed my account as a consumer requested to close account at 5 months of age and started a new line at 1 month now. What is my long term impact on credit score? I know the closed account will continue to report for many years but I am not sure. 

I only upgraded to at least get some use out of it for if and when I use a MasterCard (possibly through plastiq) and just a card that has some good growth potential and and rewards. I needed to have a credit product to refi my student loans to build a better internal score. 

If on a clean score card, one could get a new account penalty. If on a derogatory score card, no penalty.

New account will lower your AAoA Average Age of Account.

Message 2 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As long as the credit line is the same and doesn't negatively impact your overall utilization, there really won't even be much if any short-term impact as it appears that many of your accounts are newer.  Long-term, the card will remain on your reports for up to 10 years, and will positively impact your average age of accounts.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I was concerned regarding AAoA. Most of my cards are 6 months or newer but I have 4 different student loan accounts going back 7 years so my AAoA was about 2.5 years which isn't old but it definitely will have an impact if it drops further which was my main concern. I have a couple late payments 2 30 days and a 60 day from a few years ago but no collections on my report so probably still a dirty scorecard. I was planning on gardening until my newest account hit a year so I guess this mostly just pushes that back. Chase told me to let my account hit 6 months before another csp app for an approval but I always planned to wait a year anyway! 

Message 4 of 5
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Here's an online tool for AAoA:

https://aaoa-calculator.org/

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.