Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Credit Score Fluctuations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about Credit Score Fluctuations

I've been on the path to improving my credit but I am so confused as to what is the perfect balance to carry on my cards to have the best credit score. Since April I have gone from the 600s (610 - 630) to 704 - 710. I have been playing around with different balances and it seems like I can't find the happy medium.  For example, I have 3 credit cards with $9,000 total credit limit. I decided to pay them all off to have a zero balance and that dropped my score by about 11 points... then I had a small balance of $600 on one card, and the score went up 1 point. Then one card had a balance of $40 and the score went up 22 points. It's so hit or miss right now.  I'm guessing it's because I've been playing around with 'the system' that it keeps fluctuating. I know that my total usuage should be 20% or less.... so what do I do to keep my credit score consistent. We are getting ready to buy a house and I need it to stay in the 700s.  Do I leave a balance at all times or do I have 0 balance at all times or what??  Also, I will have to have zero balances on my cards (showing $0 min payment) when we go to the bank for the house loan for our DTI.  Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Confused about Credit Score Fluctuations

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that my total usuage should be 20% or less.... so what do I do to keep my credit score consistent.

Generally accepted practice is to have one card reporting less than 10% UTIL to optimize scoring. With regard to consistency, some factors are simply outside of your power to regulate, time being one of those.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I will have to have zero balances on my cards (showing $0 min payment) when we go to the bank for the house loan for our DTI.

This I'm not familiar with, your broker says you must have a $0 balance on all revolving credit tradelines when the application goes through?
796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The $0 balance for the DTI is because we have other debts that eat up our 43%. I can easily pay off my credit cards every month. 

WIPRLADY wrote:

Also, I will have to have zero balances on my cards (showing $0 min payment) when we go to the bank for the house loan for our DTI.

This I'm not familiar with, your broker says you must have a $0 balance on all revolving credit tradelines when the application goes through?

Message 3 of 11
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The $0 balance for the DTI is because we have other debts that eat up our 43%. I can easily pay off my credit cards every month. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, that's all fine but while have 0% UTIL will help your DTI it will not help your credit score - indeed, under most circumstances it will hurt it. How will having a $10 balance reporting on one of your credit cards affect your DTI in any substantial way?

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Please detail the other debts. That's kind of a big deal. Especially if it impacts DTI  Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tufa4311 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, that's all fine but while have 0% UTIL will help your DTI it will not help your credit score - indeed, under most circumstances it will hurt it. How will having a $10 balance reporting on one of your credit cards affect your DTI in any substantial way?

If there's a balance on the card, even $2, it gets counted as the minimum payment which is reported.  Basically flatline credit cards get ignored under the current DTI calculation at any rate for a mortgage process.

That said, there's no way in hell I wouldn't leave $10 on a single CC unless I was so gold plated as to make it irrelevant where I could afford the 10-20ish point hit on a FICO pull.  I'd find something else to pay off but that's me.

        
Message 6 of 11
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Revelate wrote: If there's a balance on the card, even $2, it gets counted as the minimum payment which is reported.  Basically flatline credit cards get ignored under the current DTI calculation at any rate for a mortgage process.
Expand on this if you would. I'll be doing the mortgage thing at some point so it is good knowledge to have. Let's say a balance is left on one card thus it is not ignored on the DTI calculation. What is potential ramification of that? A high interest rate on one's mortgage? If not, then what, how can this hurt financially? Also, are we taking into account the high likelihood that his credit score will go down due to 0% UTIL? Could this put him in a lower bracket so as to get a higher interest rate on his mortgage? Does one offset the costs of the other?
796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
Message 7 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tufa4311 wrote:

Revelate wrote: If there's a balance on the card, even $2, it gets counted as the minimum payment which is reported.  Basically flatline credit cards get ignored under the current DTI calculation at any rate for a mortgage process.
Expand on this if you would. I'll be doing the mortgage thing at some point so it is good knowledge to have. Let's say a balance is left on one card thus it is not ignored on the DTI calculation. What is potential ramification of that? A high interest rate on one's mortgage? If not, then what, how can this hurt financially? Also, are we taking into account the high likelihood that his credit score will go down due to 0% UTIL? Could this put him in a lower bracket so as to get a higher interest rate on his mortgage? Does one offset the costs of the other?

Mortgage interest rate is determined on a couple of things but DTI ain't one of them:

• FICO score
  • LTV/CLTV (read as: size of downpayment vs. purchase price)
  • Points if you buy them or lender credits towards closing costs

Outside of that though there's nothing which impacts the rate sheet beyond the base rate that a lender is offering on a given product.  Since I wasn't in the gold plated strata, and what tier I would land in actually mattered as a result, I went for FICO optimization and left a small balance on one credit card.  Frankly I'd argue everyone should do this from an optimization pre-mortgage.

DTI comes into play though whether you can qualify for the mortgage size; essentially what the OP is running into is the sum of all his debts (monthly payments) and the expected mortgage + insurance + taxes divided by his gross monthly income is going over the 43% backend ratio that many lenders have, and as such he can't qualify for the loan without dumping some of his debts.

Credit cards, if there's a balance on them, the minimum payment drops straight into the monthly payment debt, and therefore can affect DTI.  Any revolving tradeline which reports $0, does not.

That all said, if we're talking a $20 difference on whether you can meet the maximum DTI line, non-zero chance the mortgage is too expense for current income.  You need to optimize both score for rate purposes, and DTI if needed for mortgage qualifilcation at all, and the 0% utilization is a negative from a scoring perspective, and that can materially impact your rate.  In my case I was at a 722, if I'd had all 0's and dropped down into the 700-719 tier, that would've increased my rate by around .250%

        
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I know what we need for our DTI and I'm not worried about that.  I have a car payment, student loan and my husband has some credit cards that are very low interest, if not 0% interest, but with the payments we have and with our new house payment we are close to the 43% DTI so I will make sure that when my credit is pulled I have very low minimum payments on my credit cards if any so that is not effected.

My main question though is ideally  -- what balance should I leave on my credit cards every month so I'm not fluctuating with the credit score.
Card #1 = $5,000 Limit
Card #2 - $4,000 Limit
Card #3 - $600 limit (secured card that I still have on my accounts for age of credit).

Thank you for the help! 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My main question though is ideally  -- what balance should I leave on my credit cards every month so I'm not fluctuating with the credit score.
Card #1 = $5,000 Limit
Card #2 - $4,000 Limit
Card #3 - $600 limit (secured card that I still have on my accounts for age of credit).

Thank you for the help! 

Ideally when prepping your score for a mortgage pull, you'd want

Card #1 = $809 or less.  You may see a benefit dropping to just below $449 based upon some testing I have recently done
Card #2 - $0
Card #3 - $0

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.