Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer finance companies...

tag
InfinitiG35
Contributor

Consumer finance companies...

I read somewhere that consumer finance company accounts look bad on your credit report. How can you tell if a lender is considered a "consumer finance company?" Is there a list of them somewhere?
Chase Amazon: $3,000 | Chase Slate: $4,800 | Barclaycard Upromise: $4,000 | Chase Freedom: $4,000 | CapOne Platinum: $3,500 | CapOne Quicksilver: $5,000 | Credit One Bank: $2,100 | BofA Better Balance Rewards: $1,000 | Sony Card: $1,000 | CapOne Platinum: $300 | Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Delta SkyMiles: ???? | CareCredit: $13,560 | Discover IT: $6,500 | Barclaycard Apple: $3,500 | Overstock: $4,500 | Wayfair: $4,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consumer finance companies...

InfinitiG35 wrote:
I read somewhere that consumer finance company accounts look bad on your credit report. How can you tell if a lender is considered a "consumer finance company?" Is there a list of them somewhere?

You can't really know for sure, but there are a couple of things to look for:
  • If it's a CFL (consumer finance loan), then it's an installement loan, not a revolving account.
  • If it's from Citifinancial (as opposed to Citi) or Wells Fargo Financial (as opposed to Wells Fargo), it's probably a CFL.  These are the subprime arms of otherwise prime lenders.
  • If it's from Beneficial or HFC, it's probably a CFL.
  • If it's a loan for consumer retail products, furniture and electronics in particular, it's probably a CFL.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by cheddar on 04-02-2008 09:43 AM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good post Cheddar. Thank you for putting it that way.

Would that apply to Dell also? I was under the impression that if you finance thru Dell then it's probably a CFL.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dell's accounts are all revolving- (revolving accounts are never considered CFL's)

Sylviatob wrote:
Good post Cheddar. Thank you for putting it that way.

Would that apply to Dell also? I was under the impression that if you finance thru Dell then it's probably a CFL.

Message 4 of 7
InfinitiG35
Contributor

Thanks cheddar! One more quick question...auto loans are okay though, right? Or would an auto loan from, say, Citifinancial Auto Finance be considered a CFL?
Chase Amazon: $3,000 | Chase Slate: $4,800 | Barclaycard Upromise: $4,000 | Chase Freedom: $4,000 | CapOne Platinum: $3,500 | CapOne Quicksilver: $5,000 | Credit One Bank: $2,100 | BofA Better Balance Rewards: $1,000 | Sony Card: $1,000 | CapOne Platinum: $300 | Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Delta SkyMiles: ???? | CareCredit: $13,560 | Discover IT: $6,500 | Barclaycard Apple: $3,500 | Overstock: $4,500 | Wayfair: $4,000
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as Auto Loan's I think it depends.  I had an auto loan that was supposed to be with a dealer's finance company then a few days after purchasing the vehicle I got a letter in the mail from my "new" lender stating they purchased the loan from the company.......this account was a CFL on my credit report.

Thank goodness it is gone now!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Timothy.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.