Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card utilization.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card utilization.

Hi everyone, I tried locating this to keep from doing a repeat. My wife and I share a single unsecured credit card. We keep the balance very low but I just want to ensure we are doing it right to ensure we utilize the credit boost from paying monthly. Are we supposed to charge a small amount. Let that show as a bill, the pay it down to ex. ($2) for the next month or should we be charging a small amount, paying it down to the ($2) and maintaining that balance prior to the billing cycle? We never use it unless it is for credit utilization charges. (Single tank of gas, etc.)
28 REPLIES 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit Card utilization.

To maximize your score, you should have 3 credit cards and 1 installment loan. All Zero Except One (AZEO)would then be used to maximize effect. Personally, I think AZEO is unnecessary unless you're actively looking for or building existing credit being that the only time your score matters is in those two instances. Though an argument can be made to always keep your credit in top shape in case of an emergency, if you have a strong profile, it won't matter.

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like OP has just one card - make few charges on it and set your CC autopay to pay full statement balance, rinse and repeat, don't over think it, it really is that simple.
Message 3 of 29
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

If I understand your questions correctly, you want to allow your CC to report to the credit bureaus some sort of balance each month or you will look to FICO and the rest of creditdom that you are not using your card. That being said, you want to pay in full each month after your balance is reported. As I understand it, 8.9% utilization or less is best when reported for FICO scores. More than 30% and you will take a small hit on your FICO score. More than 70% and you will take a major hit on your FICO scores. So, for example, on a CC with a $1000 credit limit you want it to report no more than $89 to maximize your FICO scores and under $300 to keep from being penalized. $700 and you will see a significant dip in your FICO score. Not to worry, if you were to put an $800 purchase on the card. Yes, when it reported to the credit bureaus you would see a major dip in your FICO scores. Next month when you paid it down to $200 you would see a significant rebound of your score. 

Three ways to reduce your utilization on a card. 1: Pay on the balance before the creditor reports it to the credit bureau. 2: Increase your credit limit without increasing your spending. 3: Don't place purchases on the credit card.

Something else I have learned is to build up your emergency savings. Do not depend on a credit card(s) longterm to overcome life's obstacles. Depending on a credit card for a financial emergency is like depending on a gun to use to rob a bank if you need money. A credit card and a gun are tools, you can use them to manage your credit and safeguard you and your family or you can use them to wreak havoc and hurt yourself and family. Start building up your emergency savings so when the car breaks down and you have an $800 repair bill, you can pay for it with your credit card and then pay off your credit card with your emergency savings.

Welcome to the wonderful world of credit management! It has taken me years while rebuilding my credit to learn techniques to maximize my credit, and as you lurk or participate in the forum you will build your credit knowledge as well.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, my wife and I have considered adding a couple of cards to our wallet, but have held off. We are wanting to build a home in the next year. I was worried it would mess up our credit with the inquiries and adding more cards. We are trying to get our 5,4 & 2 scores boosted up some more. We only use the one card once a month and never really go over 40 dollars. I was just confused on if I should let the 40 dollar bill show up or pay it down to 2 or 3 dollars and let that show each month.
Message 5 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks guys, my wife and I have considered adding a couple of cards to our wallet, but have held off. We are wanting to build a home in the next year. I was worried it would mess up our credit with the inquiries and adding more cards. We are trying to get our 5,4 & 2 scores boosted up some more. We only use the one card once a month and never really go over 40 dollars. I was just confused on if I should let the 40 dollar bill show up or pay it down to 2 or 3 dollars and let that show each month.

Unless the credit line is extremely low, the scoring difference between a few dollars and $40 should be negligible.  If you're planning a new construction loan in the next year, then yes it is highly suggested to not open any new accounts prior to securing that financing.  Utilization has no memory, though, so there really is no need to micromanage your scores this far out.  But to get every single point that you can, it would be a good strategy to start a month or two before the process begins.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some questions for our OP:

What is the credit limit on that card?

Have you tried pulling your three mortgage scores yet?  If so, what are they?  If you haven't, we can help you do a few things first that might (possibly) improve your scores -- then you could pull them and use that as a baseline for decisions about whether there could be an advantage to adding two more cards.

How many accounts total (closed and open) are on your reports?  Do you have any open accounts on the reports besides the credit card?  (Loans, auto leases, lines of credit, etc.)

Do you have any derogs on your three reports?  (Lates, collections, chargeoffs, liens, public records, etc.)  If so what are they and when did they happen?

Message 7 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone, I tried locating this to keep from doing a repeat. My wife and I share a single unsecured credit card. We keep the balance very low but I just want to ensure we are doing it right to ensure we utilize the credit boost from paying monthly. Are we supposed to charge a small amount. Let that show as a bill, the pay it down to ex. ($2) for the next month or should we be charging a small amount, paying it down to the ($2) and maintaining that balance prior to the billing cycle? We never use it unless it is for credit utilization charges. (Single tank of gas, etc.)

The truth of the matter, IMHO, is that we have precious little knowledge about how to optimize one's FICO scores when one has only 1 credit card.... because none of us fit that description Smiley Happy

If I were you I would alternate. Have it report a zero balance one month, and a small balance the next month. And see which gets you the higher scores.

(And then report back to us, so we'll know Smiley Happy)

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO you're fine with one card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

A credit report that consists of exactly one card and no other accounts (closed or open) would not be a good thing in preparation for a mortgage.  On the other hand, our OP and his wife might both have several accounts on their three reports, including loans, and perhaps even an LOC.

This is why I asked our OP the questions I asked.  We need to know more before we can advise him about his real concern, which is how to best prepare for his mortgage.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.