cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Check Total and Score differences-could it be due to an unreported mortgage?

tag
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

Credit Check Total and Score differences-could it be due to an unreported mortgage?

I ordered my credit reports from Credit Check Total today.  I noticed that my Fico scores from them are as follows:  EX 666, EQ 725, TU 714.  I'm trying to determine what is causing the large discrepancy between EX and the others.  Here are som data points:

Chapter 13 discharged Aug. 2016.  Due to age off of reports by May 2018.  Has already been deleted from TU.

Mortgage, no lates, in good standing, reporting on EQ and TU but NOT EX.

No lates, on EQ or TU, however, EX is showing 2 late payments to Chase and NFCU.  Both of those accounts were IIB.  

Called EX.  Spoke with a very helpful CSR.  She stated that the BK and both of the related late payments were due to age off by May 2018, and that they typically start the deletion process 3 months early so, at the very least, the two credit card accounts should age off by the end of this month, early next month.  She also started what would be akin to a dispute process to have those items and the BK removed.

Which leaves me with a couple of questions?  First, are CCT fico scores accurate?  Also, is it normal for one CRA to not report a mortgage?  My mortgage is with Bank of America.  Thanks for any help or insight you can offer.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Check Total and Score differences-could it be due to an unreported mortgage?

I assume that when you spoke with the EX rep you asked her about the missing mortgage.... and she confirmed that EX has no record of it?

If so, your next step would be to talk to the lender (in this case BOA).  The lender is not required to report the mortgage to all three credit bureaus, but my guess there is some mixup going on between BOA and EX, where BOA believes it is reporting the loan but somehow due to some electronic snafu it is not registering with EX.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Check Total and Score differences-could it be due to an unreported mortgage?

With the multiple baddies you have present on EX and not on TU or EQ, I'm actually surprised that your scores are only about 50 points lower on EX.  I would have guessed more like 70-80. 

Yes, FICO scores from CCT are accurate.  In fact, ALL FICO scores are accurate.  All you need to know is the scoring model, the bureau data used and the time at which those first 2 pieces of data were used.  Those 3 things combined yield an accurate score at that moment, so there's really no such thing as an "inaccurate" FICO score.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the age of the OLDEST account (open or closed) on each of the 3 reports?

Message 4 of 9
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

I assume that when you spoke with the EX rep you asked her about the missing mortgage.... and she confirmed that EX has no record of it?

If so, your next step would be to talk to the lender (in this case BOA).  The lender is not required to report the mortgage to all three credit bureaus, but my guess there is some mixup going on between BOA and EX, where BOA believes it is reporting the loan but somehow due to some electronic snafu it is not registering with EX.

Yes, you're correct.  That is exactly what the CSR said.  

Message 5 of 9
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

What is the age of the OLDEST account (open or closed) on each of the 3 reports?

The oldest account for EX and TU is an old Toyota Motor Credit account opened in April 2006.  Account paid in full, never late.  On EQ, the oldest reporting account is a Mervyn's card through Synchrony Bank, opened in July 1998.  Paid, closed by me.  Never late.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The oldest account for EX and TU is an old Toyota Motor Credit account opened in April 2006.  Account paid in full, never late.  On EQ, the oldest reporting account is a Mervyn's card through Synchrony Bank, opened in July 1998.  Paid, closed by me.  Never late.

When did you close that account that you opened in 1998?  Keep in mind that account will be positively impacting your AoOA until it falls off, typically 10 years after closure.  If you just closed it within the last couple of years and it may remain on your reports for at least several more years, it may be worth contacting Synchrony and asking that they report the account to EX and TU.  This would take your nearly 12 year AoOA and make it nearly 20 years, which could result in score card re-assignment and improve your score.  If you closed it back in 2008-2009 or something I probably wouldn't worry about it, but it if it was more recent I'd definitely want that account positively impacting my EX and TU files the way it is on my EQ.

Message 7 of 9
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

When did you close that account that you opened in 1998?  Keep in mind that account will be positively impacting your AoOA until it falls off, typically 10 years after closure.  If you just closed it within the last couple of years and it may remain on your reports for at least several more years, it may be worth contacting Synchrony and asking that they report the account to EX and TU.  This would take your nearly 12 year AoOA and make it nearly 20 years, which could result in score card re-assignment and improve your score.  If you closed it back in 2008-2009 or something I probably wouldn't worry about it, but it if it was more recent I'd definitely want that account positively impacting my EX and TU files the way it is on my EQ.

Hmmm...I can't quite remember when I closed the account.  I'm sure it was prior to buying my home in 2005.  All Mervyn's stores closed in 2008.  My credit report is showing 24 months of posibitve history from April 2013 to March 2015.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you closed it in or before 2005, I would think it would have dropped off your reports in 2015 (or before).  If you pull up your reports with any CMS, you should be able to see the date that the account reported as closed.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.