Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score dropped 37 points because credit card balance was $0

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score dropped 37 points because credit card balance was $0

I have read on the forum that because I only have 2 credit cards and that a $0 balance can affect your credit. You need at least a balance on one credit card.  I assumed my score dropped so many points because I have a thin credit file.  One of my cards has a $7750 credit limit.  How much can I put on that card to create a balance but not get my credit utilization too high? Less than 8.9% or should it be as low as 2% to get all my points back.  Also, I am positive that it was no other factors that caused the score to drop.  No additional lines of credit, no accounts opened or closed, and no credit pulls.  The only change was a $0 credit balance on both cards.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Score dropped 37 points because credit card balance was $0

is this a CK score?  typically FICO scores won't swing this much for a 0 balance on all cards

have it report $5-10  - that is all that is needed to not be ALL ZERO

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 4
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read on the forum that because I only have 2 credit cards and that a $0 balance can affect your credit. You need at least a balance on one credit card.  I assumed my score dropped so many points because I have a thin credit file.  One of my cards has a $7750 credit limit.  How much can I put on that card to create a balance but not get my credit utilization too high? Less than 8.9% or should it be as low as 2% to get all my points back.  Also, I am positive that it was no other factors that caused the score to drop.  No additional lines of credit, no accounts opened or closed, and no credit pulls.  The only change was a $0 credit balance on both cards.

The thresholds that will begin to cause point loss are 9% aggregate, and 29% individual. As long as you're under both of them you are all set. As mentioned, all it takes is that small amount to report too, so anywhere in between and you're good.  

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure why you're asking about only one of your cards.

With your aggregate utilization, the lower the better. I would say 1% to 3% has been the sweet spot in my profile.

With individual utilization it's not so clear, except that it definitely needs to be 28% or lower.

It's not a question of how much you "put" on the card, it's a question of how much is reported.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.