Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score before & after a successful dispute

tag
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Credit score before & after a successful dispute

Hello All,

Luckily thanks to this entire community I have been able to enjoy an 800+ credit score for a while now. I previously had 0 delinquent accounts and 0 negative factors.

Recently on 02/04 I was hit with a 30 day late payment status on one of my accounts. The payment was received late, but this was due to a system error with my lender not sending me an email notification that my payment was due. 

Because of the late payment status my CS dropped 75-90 points across the 3 bureaus. I reached out to my lender as soon as I got the notification about the point drop and they confirmed that an email should have been sent out and promised to fix the account status with the bureaus.My lender instructed me to dispute the negative item and they will agree with that dispute.

My question for those that have expierence with this, can I expect my credit score to be restored back to the previous levels after everything is said and done. The reason that I ask is because Equifax updated the account today but my score was only raised to 765 previously it was 801.

For those with experience with credit bureau disputes please let me know if there is anything I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit score before & after a successful dispute

@mjnierva23 wrote:

Hello All,

Luckily thanks to this entire community I have been able to enjoy an 800+ credit score for a while now. I previously had 0 delinquent accounts and 0 negative factors.

Recently on 02/04 I was hit with a 30 day late payment status on one of my accounts. The payment was received late, but this was due to a system error with my lender not sending me an email notification that my payment was due. 

Because of the late payment status my CS dropped 75-90 points across the 3 bureaus. I reached out to my lender as soon as I got the notification about the point drop and they confirmed that an email should have been sent out and promised to fix the account status with the bureaus.My lender instructed me to dispute the negative item and they will agree with that dispute.

My question for those that have expierence with this, can I expect my credit score to be restored back to the previous levels after everything is said and done. The reason that I ask is because Equifax updated the account today but my score was only raised to 765 previously it was 801.

For those with experience with credit bureau disputes please let me know if there is anything I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Go to settings on your accounts and have texts sent to you activated. If you have a desktop or laptop at home. Create a shortcut and change the name to the creditor and a number as in the date the statement cuts. I have 10 icons with the date the statement cuts. So I see it each time I turned on the puter. Your lucky they decided to back track the late.

I'm not a fan of autopay. Got messed over yrs and yrs ago. But thats an option too.

Message 2 of 4
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. 

Is there any particular reason why my score only increase 30 points after EQ updated the account to "paid as agreed" and removed the late payment? 

My score decreased like 75 points which makes me nervous but it has a only been a few days. I was thinking it needs a full billing cycle for my score to jump back up. 

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@mjnierva23 wrote:

Thanks for the response. 

Is there any particular reason why my score only increase 30 points after EQ updated the account to "paid as agreed" and removed the late payment? 

My score decreased like 75 points which makes me nervous but it has a only been a few days. I was thinking it needs a full billing cycle for my score to jump back up. 

It may take another cycle. Plus it depends were you getting your scores from.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.