Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score drop after paying down balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score drop after paying down balance

At the end of 2014 I had 3 credits all maxed so at the start of 2015 I was able to start paying my balances down on all 3 cards but instead of improving my score following my first pay down reports my score had drop on 2 out of 3 bureaus 6 points twice on exp and by 7 points on trans. I was highly upset about this and I just can't understand ... Help !!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit score drop after paying down balance

@Anonymous wrote:
At the end of 2014 I had 3 credits all maxed so at the start of 2015 I was able to start paying my balances down on all 3 cards but instead of improving my score following my first pay down reports my score had drop on 2 out of 3 bureaus 6 points twice on exp and by 7 points on trans. I was highly upset about this and I just can't understand ... Help !!

Was this on the FICO 3B monitoring or something else?

I'm struggling a little bit to understand the 3B monitoring but I haven't put a lot of time or data analysis into it unlike what I did with Scorewatch back in the day; I can say for absolute certain that there are substantial differences between the 3 bureans monitoring solutions, and they trigger on different things.  Without seeing before and after reports it's really tough to dig out why a change occurred... TBH I now ignore the vagaries of short-term score fluctuation, losing 5-10 points here or there as long as there's no new negative on my reports, I just don't care especially on a FICO 8 model.  

Eventually as time goes forward if I stay clean my scores will continue to improve, but worrying about every little up and down (as there are a LOT) is the route to insanity in my estimation.  Paying down utilization is a good thing absolutely, while you don't want all 3 of your cards to report zero, beyond that less utilization more better.  Doesn't need to be more complicated than that really, ignore the interstitial scores would be my suggestion.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.