Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score dropped 43 points after auto refinance

tag
SedimentaryRock
Contributor

Credit score dropped 43 points after auto refinance

I've heard this is to be expected and will rectify but wow this is unnerving. Only Equifax has the new account listed, but they say my score dropped 2 points due to a new account opening. On top of the other 40-odd points it dropped from my other loan showing closed/paid. Uggggh once I fix this stuff I'm never messing up again. I can't take it!

FICO8
April 2020 EQ 541 TU 575 EXP 545
Mar 2021 EQ 672 TU 682 EXP 674
Goal Score 800
GARDENING until 6/20/2021
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit score dropped 43 points after auto refinance

@SedimentaryRock wrote:

I've heard this is to be expected and will rectify but wow this is unnerving. Only Equifax has the new account listed, but they say my score dropped 2 points due to a new account opening. On top of the other 40-odd points it dropped from my other loan showing closed/paid. Uggggh once I fix this stuff I'm never messing up again. I can't take it!

Congrats on refinance. Yes, you'll recover. Other than accounts settling, new loan is basically close to 100%. As you pay down, that will gain points.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

TBH, I don't think there's a reason to be unnerved or frustrated by it. That's the price of doing business/using your credit. Most of this kind of activity is fleeting and will rebound with age. And if a person doesn't want ups and downs, mainly downs, then they need to abstain from credit seeking activity. Point losses from HP's and new accounts are the name of the game and it's much better than the alternatives like collections lates etc. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What good are scores if you can’t use them?

Everything will recover with time. It is kind of a shock seeing it though isn’t it? But remember finances over ficos. If it made financial sense for you, you did the right thing.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.