Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting down on number of accounts

tag
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cutting down on number of accounts

It will not affect your credit history and AAoA for many years.  But it will affect your overal utilization, your number of cards reporting a balance, your AZEO, etc... So it depends on how you use your cards, how many tend to report a balance and how much of a balance.  Vs not wanting the hassle factor of keeping track of all these cards. 

I have quite a few that I don't use but I keep them around for the score boost.  But I enjoy keeping track of everything, it's a game to me.  Some people don't care to mess with it, and there's nothing wrong with that.  

Message 11 of 17
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

I went through cutting last June.  My scores are all 730-760 so it really wont hurt.  I like fewer cards with larger credit lines.  I only got the Amex platinum for the 150k MR bonus, and with the other perks I can make money off of this one.  I think Discover is going to go next as I think those guys really dont like me, all they want to give is $3k.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 12 of 17
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I'd agree with others to proceed with caution. I'm all for trimming the fat but there's no guarantee that the accounts will continue to report for 7-10 years.

Experian deleted my seven oldest accounts last year. The accounts were only closed in June of 2016. The result? My Experian score dropped by roughly 20 points overnight which hurt because EX is used by most creditors in my state so that score was already lower than the others. My TU and EQ scores were much stronger so the drop didn't help.

Best wishes in whatever you choose to do.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 13 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SweetCreditObsession wrote:

I'd agree with others to proceed with caution. I'm all for trimming the fat but there's no guarantee that the accounts will continue to report for 7-10 years.

Experian deleted my seven oldest accounts last year. The accounts were only closed in June of 2016. The result? My Experian score dropped by roughly 20 points overnight which hurt because EX is used by most creditors in my state so that score was already lower than the others. My TU and EQ scores were much stronger so the drop didn't help.

I had a similar experience with Equifax. One day it dropped five closed accounts, each of which had been closed for just a year or so. My AAoA is 6 months lower on Equifax than it is with the other two bureaus.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 17
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SweetCreditObsession wrote:

I had a similar experience with Equifax. One day it dropped five closed accounts, each of which had been closed for just a year or so. My AAoA is 6 months lower on Equifax than it is with the other two bureaus.

Thank you for sharing your experience. My AAoA is lower as well. I didn't check to determine how much so but it's by years. My oldest accounts were all 17 years and that dropped. Now my oldest account on my EX is 14 years old. My overall account age was also reduced by a couple of years. It was a real pain and there is no recourse.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 15 of 17
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Closed my rebuilders...OLLO, Mercury and Merrick...months ago. 

When I finish gardening around April, and after a couple of approvals hopefully, my Cap Ones are on the chopping block. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 16 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Jeffster1 wrote:

Closed my rebuilders...OLLO, Mercury and Merrick...months ago. 

When I finish gardening around April, and after a couple of approvals hopefully, my Cap Ones are on the chopping block. 

Moving on up Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.