cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU credit building loan to replace points lost on completed Self.inc (fka Self Lender) loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU credit building loan to replace points lost on completed Self.inc (fka Self Lender) loan?

Hey folks. So my only installment account (Self.inc credit builder loan) will be wrapped up in about a month, and I expect to shed FICO points when that happens. I was looking into an Alliant-like savings-secured loan to recoup at least some of those points and was excited to see that DCU--of which I'm a member already--has an SSL product. After reading a few threads on these forums, however, it seems that the method that made the Alliant version work so well (paying it down to <9% early to push the next due date to near the end of the lan term) doesn't work at DCU, so they were unfortunately out of the picture.

I did see, however, that DCU has a separate product that they actually call a "credit builder loan" that looks a lot like what Self.inc does. Just wondering if anyone here has used this loan before or has an opinion on if it appears to be a good option to start recouping the points I'll lose when my current one is paid off. (Or if I should keep looking for a real SSL product.)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DCU credit building loan to replace points lost on completed Self.inc (fka Self Lender) loan?

If you're just looking to tack any loan on, sure DCU is fine; however, they have an idiosyncracy in that they won't let you pay more than 3 payments in advance, which really limits their effectivenss for what I label as reindeer games.

If it were me and I were doing it all over again I'd just go with NFCU if I had access or Penfed if I did not, and do it there.  Both work similarly to how Alliant used to from user reports.

        
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DCU credit building loan to replace points lost on completed Self.inc (fka Self Lender) loan?

Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah, I'd gathered that DCU's SSL wouldn't work for reindeer games, which is what led to my question about their "credit builder."

I appreciate the heads-up on Penfed, though. I'd actually assumed that their field of membership was limited in the same way NFCU's is, but apparently not. I didn't see an SSL product listed on their website, though, so it could be that they don't offer it anymore. (And there are some posts on these forums that suggest that reindeer games actually won't work there either.)

I'll check it out and keep researching. If anyone else has any thoughts on DCU's credit builder or other Alliant-like SSLs that might not be covered in the big threads, please let me know.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AOD loan has had 0.00 due for this and last month after early paying it down to like <$50.

Might want to try them out, they do offer SSL.

Gained big points on installments with it

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My AOD loan has had 0.00 due for this and last month after early paying it down to like <$50.

Might want to try them out, they do offer SSL.

Gained big points on installments with it

What does it say your next due date is for AOD?

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.