Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP - Maxing out one card with aggregate under 9%

tag
REDBOYYY56
New Contributor

Re: DP - Maxing out one card with aggregate under 9%

I had a recent emergency and I maxed out my wells Fargo card two days before the statement cut. My 780 Experian score dropped 23 points. Just for laughs, my Credit Karma TransUnion score dipped by 91 points!!Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@REDBOYYY56 wrote:

I had a recent emergency and I maxed out my wells Fargo card two days before the statement cut. My 780 Experian score dropped 23 points. Just for laughs, my Credit Karma TransUnion score dipped by 91 points!!Smiley LOL

VantageScore 3 might be the most flawless credit scoring model I have ever seen! Smiley LOL More lenders should start using it... Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 20
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@REDBOYYY56 wrote:

Vantage scores are notorious for being verrrrry utilization sensitive.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization dropped from 91% - 71% and Experian shows a 10 point increase. Over half the points originally lost.

This was the only card reporting and my aggregate utilization is 6%. I don't think the number of cards reporting impacted the score because the two other balances disappeared at the beginning of August with no change to the score. 

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Util is now just above 50% and gained...one...whole....point. Smiley Indifferent

Message 15 of 20
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@REDBOYYY56 wrote:

VantageScore 3 might be the most flawless credit scoring model I have ever seen! Smiley LOL More lenders should start using it... Smiley Tongue

You know you're absolutely right 😂. I paid some balances down and was soundly rewarded. 

1A861D3B-A587-4DE2-AFED-77A836484868.png

For reference, this was before I applied for a few new accounts and EQ wasn't pulled anyway. 

Message 16 of 20
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

I've just had one card with a balance for the last few months and my score hasn't budged. I try to keep the utilization on that card to under 9% (overall utilization is under 3%). I slipped last month and had 16% utilization on that one card, but there was no effect on my score. Just a data point. I have a dirty file with a BK if that's relevant.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I often don't see score changes with higher utilization on individual cards, as long as it's under 29% and my total util is low-ish. I'm very curious to see if I'll regain all the points when I'm under 29% or if I have to wait 'til under 9%.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid the card down further to a utilization of just over 30% and all the points I lost have now been recovered. I didn't expect that to happen until until 30%, so it's very possible there's some other noise in there that prevented complete isolation.

I'll keep going to see what happens under 29% and 9%, just for kicks.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so got utilization down to 11% and gained 3 points. So now I've gained back more than I lost, which I guess shows how difficult it is to isolate activities and draw correlations.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.