Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in FICO by reporting agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference in FICO by reporting agency

I have a significant difference in my FICO score between agencies.  Specifically about 100 points difference between Transunion and Equifax and Experian.  I see what the differences are they are all collection accounts that are not on Transunion.  Since these collections are not on Transunion shouldn't they bet getting removed from Experian/Equifax also.  The difference in score is significant 657 to 757 on Transunion.   Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Difference in FICO by reporting agency

I had a collection pop up on all three one day. It was a bill I forgot about honestly and had moved. Anyway long story short I paid the original creditor and disputed the collection to all three bureaus. EQ of all people removed it. TU and EX still have it there and it is costing me about 10 points on EX and not much at all on TU. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 6
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Only you know if the collections are valid.  Whether they are or not, there are lots of threads on how best to handle them.

But there's no legal requirement that a collection agency report to any, let alone each, credit bureau.  The bureaus don't have to hold the same information - but it's up to us to make sure that what is there is correct -- that's what the FCRA and other legislation requires.

Earlier this year, I had an unlawful collection only on my TU, so its score lagged the others by a significant margin 'til I had the collection removed.  Just the way things fall.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 3 of 6
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since these collections are not on Transunion shouldn't they bet getting removed from Experian/Equifax also.

Each credit bureau handles dispute resolution differently from one another. There is no quorum between them regarding whether specific items remain. They investigate items individually, and sometimes there are slight technicalities that a particular credit bureau may invoke when addressing an item... but not necessarily the other bureaus.

If however, someone is a victim of identity theft, the credit bureaus do share this information amongst each other; which prompts a fraud alert be added on each report. However, this does not necessarily pertain to specific accounts, either.

Nevertheless, unless you have been a victim of fraud, or have other documentation exonerating yourself from the accounts in question... there's really no way to get all three credit bureaus on the same page.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a significant difference in my FICO score between agencies.  Specifically about 100 points difference between Transunion and Equifax and Experian.  I see what the differences are they are all collection accounts that are not on Transunion.  Since these collections are not on Transunion shouldn't they bet getting removed from Experian/Equifax also.  The difference in score is significant 657 to 757 on Transunion.   Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

If the collection(s) are legit, it's simply a bonus and you're lucky that it's not on TU and thus your score is much better when generated from that bureau data.  If it isn't legit, certainly you should be disputing it with the other 2 bureaus.  Which is correct?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The collections are not mine. They are medical in nature and are my ex-wife's.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.