Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differing Credit Scores and Options

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Differing Credit Scores and Options

Good Morning All,

New here, and have a question about credit scores. I religiously track my scores with a few services, including Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, and my FICO score provided by Barclay Bank US through a credit card I have with them.

I recently applied for a pre-approval for a mortgage loan, and was disappointed to see my credit scores were way below the number provided by any of the three services I use. Granted, I realize the Karma/Sesame numbers are not official. That said, each said over 750 (with my FICO score at 768!). My real scores were more than 70 points below.

So after a bit of research I see that FICO scores can all be different, but how can it be 70 points wrong? 

Most importantly, when applying for a mortgage, is there anything I can do to negotiate or leverage that FICO score rather than relying on the three credit scores reported by the "Big 3"? 

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Differing Credit Scores and Options

Welcome to the forums!

The versions as you've realized are not the same: they weight things differently between the FICO 8 you received from Barclay's, and the likely FICO 04 / 98 (for Experian) mix you probably got on your mortgage tri-merge.

What I would suggest is posting some of the details about your credit report including what tradelines you have, and when they were opened, and specifically on your credit cards and other revolving accounts, their balances, their limits, and also any derogatories you have on the report; there may be a quick fix or two that you can do, though I do have to admit being slightly surprised at being at a 768 (I'm assuming that was your Barclay's score) and that much lower on a mortgage pull, unless you have a major derogatory on the report from call it 9ish years ago.

        
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Revelate,

Thanks for the input. I do have an account (medical-related) that went into collections before I knew it. I was not responsible for the charge, and it was subsequently paidby the insurance company at the time, but it still shows up (granted, it does show up as $0, but I'm not sure if that still negatively effects the score).

There was a late payment on an auto loan, but that was about 7 or 8 years ago. 

I also have a decent number of credit cards, but no late payments and balances are all very low. Probably a decent number of credit pulls from credit card offerors (again, not enough to slam my score 30-70 points I wouldn't imagine, but who knows?)

Do you, or others, have any idea how negotiable all this is? Can lenders look at FICO scores instead of the more dated (right?) FICO 4 scores? My middle score on the credit pull was 723, but was told I needed a 740 for the mortgage the lender was offering.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Revelate,

Thanks for the input. I do have an account (medical-related) that went into collections before I knew it. I was not responsible for the charge, and it was subsequently paidby the insurance company at the time, but it still shows up (granted, it does show up as $0, but I'm not sure if that still negatively effects the score).

There was a late payment on an auto loan, but that was about 7 or 8 years ago. 

I also have a decent number of credit cards, but no late payments and balances are all very low. Probably a decent number of credit pulls from credit card offerors (again, not enough to slam my score 30-70 points I wouldn't imagine, but who knows?)

Do you, or others, have any idea how negotiable all this is? Can lenders look at FICO scores instead of the more dated (right?) FICO 4 scores? My middle score on the credit pull was 723, but was told I needed a 740 for the mortgage the lender was offering.

Thanks again!

There are plenty of lenders which will deal at a 720+ middle FICO, 740 is on the high end.  May not be the best rates, but shouldn't be a problem for qualification.

There isn't any ability to force lenders to use a more recent version; the FICO '04 / '98 combination is mandated by Fannie / Freddie and pretty much the rest of the industry has followed suit.  A $0 collection would count against you under the FICO '04 model (and earlier) but would be discounted as a nuisance collection by FICO 8, and that's likely the bulk of the difference, though FICO 8 would also likely count an old late less harshly than your mortgage scores too.

The late payment should likely be falling off soonish?  As for the collection, how long ago was it?  I would encourage you to ask over in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum to see about possible resolutions (Goodwill letters, possible other avenues) for the collection and possibly for the late as well: if you get those off your report which you might be able to, certainly possible in the collection's case from the sounds of it, that'll likely get you non-trivial points right there and could put you in line for the presumed top tier 740 mortgage.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.