Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do creditors rely only on score?

tag
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Do creditors rely only on score?

I was reading some posts and got to thinking, When we apply for credit is the Fico score the only thing or predominantly the only thing they look at? I would assume there other factors such as inquiries and charge offs that they would take a hard look at but if my scores were all in the excellent range would it be enough?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do creditors rely only on score?

There is a lot that goes into it. Scores are only part of it. History matters in terms of any derogs and how long ago they happened, income, debt-to-income ratio, utilization on current accounts, and some lenders also factor in the number of recent inquiries (each defined “recent” in their own way). In short, scores are definitely important but are far from the be all, end all.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rogue46 wrote:

I was reading some posts and got to thinking, When we apply for credit is the Fico score the only thing or predominantly the only thing they look at? I would assume there other factors such as inquiries and charge offs that they would take a hard look at but if my scores were all in the excellent range would it be enough?

No.  In fact, I don't even put score in my Top 5 of things that are looked at.  Your credit report (profile) is King to score.  Score is just one way to numerically assign a number based on your credit [report] data.  Things that are more important than score are the many factors that go into a credit profile, which in no particular order of importance include but aren't limited to:  Income, Payment history (presence of negatives?), Amounts Owed (utilization percentages on revolvers and loans), Length of Credit (young/aged... age of accounts factors), Amount of credit-seeking recently (inquiries are part of this), History/relationship with that particular lender, etc.

Two identical scores can come from two dramatically different profiles.  For example, a 750 score can be had by someone with 1 year of credit history and a clean/thin file.  Conversely, a 750 score can be had by someone else with 30 years of credit history, a phone-book thick file, but one with moderately aged major negative items present.  While one lender may be turned off by the presence of the negative information (could be a deal-breaker to approval) another may be turned off by the thin/young file of the other individual even more.  It's all very lender-specific, so it's always a best practice to do your homework before apping to determine what type(s) of profiles that a potential lender seems to prefer.    

Message 3 of 8
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I guess my question came from applying for CC's and the process online since it only usually takes a few seconds I assumed they pulled the report and see 800 score and that's enough to extend the credit. I know there are other factors but as I said I assumed the score was the main one they look at. 

Message 4 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I guess my question came from applying for CC's and the process online since it only usually takes a few seconds I assumed they pulled the report and see 800 score and that's enough to extend the credit. I know there are other factors but as I said I assumed the score was the main one they look at. 

Well, in some cases depending on the lender, this could be true! 

There are lenders that rely on a computer to decide yay or nay. If the computer determines you're border-line. Your app goes to a manual review.

As BBS stated, it can get rather complicated. Sometimes you're denied simply for catching a UW on the wrong day of the week. lol

No one knows the algorithms banks use, except those that write them.

Then you have lenders that are 100% manual reviews(most CUs). Those are the ones where scores probably don't hold as much weight.

Now it's pucker time, because they will comb through your file looking for anything that doesn't cut the mustard.

You can have 800 scores with no credit history of your own. There have been many people come to myfico looking for answers of a denial, that had nearly perfect scores, with no credit history to back up those scores.

A good example is my 18 yr old nephew with no credit history of his own, only an AU on two of my accounts. He had a 824 mortgage score from the start.

If he'd apped for a Chase CC, he'd have surely went down in flames! lol

Where at the same time, apping Navy Fed and Discover yielded instant approvals!

Some lenders use internal scoring. Some time those work in your favor and sometimes they do not.

IMG_0395.jpg

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

All lenders when they pull your CR have internal systems in place to look for the factors in your profile that they prefer or dislike.  Some of them may be deal-breakers.  For example, Chase has the 5/24 rule.  One could possess perfect 850 scores and if they're at > 5/24 and apply for certain Chase CCs will see a denial regardless of their score.  Some other lenders really like to see 1+ year of credit history before being willing to take on a new customer, so someone applying with (say) 8 months of credit history and a 750 score may be denied simply based on that one factor.  Conversely, lenders like Discover and Capital One are very open to thin files and minimal credit history, so seeing an approval on such a profile described above from them could be more likely.  Bottom line is that it isn't score, but the credit profile that matters.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As ITD observed earlier, income and existing debt matter a lot.  It is quite possible to have half a million dollars in debt, no money in the bank, and no income -- and have a FICO 8 score in the 800s.

The score would be stellar but almost no lender or CC issuer would approve you for a loan or a credit card.

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

As ITD observed earlier, income and existing debt matter a lot.  It is quite possible to have half a million dollars in debt, no money in the bank, and no income -- and have a FICO 8 score in the 800s.

The score would be stellar but almost no lender or CC issuer would approve you for a loan or a credit card.

Heh, not even that black and white my friend.

If that 500k of debt is the remaining 31.25% of a mortgage which likely could be obtained from the address of record on the credit report and a quick Zestimate lookup on Zillow which implies 1.5 million in equity, sure they could and probably even would.

As others have said score is only one factor, but when talking CC's explicitly the fact is the minimum score that will be underwritten at is remarkably low, even in the mid-600's when talking FICO 8 on some of the cards which many people aspire to on this forum because they're some of the best in the credit market today.

That all said, from call it two database lookups and a credit report I can have a very clear idea of what an applicant's financial picture is, and the entire algorithmic process including the remote data queries can be handled in seconds.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.