Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does FICO9 really matter

tag
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

Does FICO9 really matter

NFCU recently started giving members access to their Eq FICO9 score. Is this score relevant?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Does FICO9 really matter

@PrinceCorwin wrote:

NFCU recently started giving members access to their Eq FICO9 score. Is this score relevant?

Yes it is. Lenders are starting to roll it out. I recently had my TU Bankcard 9 pulled by Lake Michigan Credit Union, Marcus (the installment loan lender operated by Goldman Sachs) uses FICO 9 Classic on all applications it appears. Redstone FCU uses Classic 9 too.  Someone reported the auto dealer he works for pulling the Auto 9 score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand, FICO 09 scores generally aren't that far off from FICO 08 scores for most people.  So, even if a lender goes off of FICO 08 scores, your FICO 09 scores should still be of some use to you.

Message 3 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I understand, FICO 09 scores generally aren't that far off from FICO 08 scores for most people.  So, even if a lender goes off of FICO 08 scores, your FICO 09 scores should still be of some use to you.

Think it's night and day for people with old derogatories TBH Smiley Happy.  730 vs 780 isn't trivial and there are a bunch of us that seemingly have that distribution on old derogs like tax liens.

        
Message 4 of 14
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Think it's night and day for people with old derogatories TBH Smiley Happy.  730 vs 780 isn't trivial and there are a bunch of us that seemingly have that distribution on old derogs like tax liens.

You are spot on Rev.

For me, at least, the difference is very much night and day. My FICO 08 EQ was/is 669, and NFCU has my EQ FICO 09 at......717! Huge difference! I like 09!! LOL Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here! My FICO 8 scores are FAIR and range from mid to high 600's. While my FICO 9 scores are all GOOD and range low to mid 700s. I am happy to hear some banks are starting to use it. 

Now...if only my FICO 9 score was the only thing considered when applying for credit...Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys are referencing 30-50 point differences between FICO 08 and FICO 09 scores and that's on the high end of the variances.  Naturally, there are many people with closer 08 and 09 scores.  While 30-50 points may be a big difference, I don't consider it "huge" the way some other FICO scores can be 100 points or more off from FICO 08s.

I agree with what Rev said above regarding negative items, though.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know for certain how FICO 9 handles small unpaid collections?  (Less than $100.)

In FICO 8 they are ignored.

FICO 9 ignores all paid collections of any size.

I am curious what kinds of things would make a person score significantly better on FICO 8 than FICO 9.  (The small collection thing would be one way.)  Most people who report a significant difference talk about how their scores are better with 9, rather than the other way around.

Message 8 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

A point of possible interest to some:

Fico 8 industry enhanced versions top out at 900.

Some, possibly all, Fico 9 industry enhanced versions top out below 900.

Examples: TU Fico Bankcard 9 = 893, EX Fico Bankcard 9 = 894.

BTW - I don't expect Fico 9 to gain much traction as the "advantages" over Fico 8 are not major. Perhaps a TBD version that includes trended data analysis will be heir apparent to Fico 8 and hopefully the archaic Classic Ficos used for mortgages.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to see trended data taken into consideration.  I think in time it would create quite a change to consumer spending/payment patterns... and put to rest some of the argument that FICO scores are all about profit and such.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.