Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Collections (HUGE) Weight Difference

tag
tech-d
Valued Member

Experian Collections (HUGE) Weight Difference

Has anyone noticed that Experian seems to weigh collections no matter how small - $100 from 2015 in my case? It fell off in the past month and my score jumped 53 points to 704.

Transunion doesn't seem to care as much as my score is still 668 (Credit Karma) and 670 (Discover App) with both recognizing the change.

If only I'd waited 2 weeks to apply for that Amex...I'd probably be given a higher limit. Definitely hitting them up on day 61 with the 3x CLI request trick I've seen on here!

TU (Discover App): 783
EX (EX website): 768

EQ (EQ website): 800
American Express Platinum NPSL || BofA Amtrak $12k || Citi Premier $9k || Disc: $8.5k || HSBC: $8.25k || Target MC: $5k || Apple: $5.5k || American Express Blue Cash Preferred $5k || American Express Delta Gold $5k || Saks: $4k || Amazon: $2.4k || Cap1: $2.5k
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian Collections (HUGE) Weight Difference

Sadly 20 points difference is within design specs for FICO 8 even on identical files between bureaus; I wouldn't personally call that huge even if TransUnion was almost without fail one of my highest scores across the board when I was a dirty birdy.

And yeah $100 is the line for FICO 8 to count a collection, that vs 100K collection (if such a thing exists) would be no difference in scoring.

        
Message 2 of 4
tech-d
Valued Member

I just read up on this, it's insane that a $99 collection would have made my score 50 points higher. If I'd known this at the time I would have asked the CA to kindly change it to $99 on my report and hope for the best.

My thinking was "Hey, it's $100, not a problem for me right now." and I've probably paid god knows how much in higher interest rates because of that. Kicking myself right now. On the other hand, I've got 12 more months max of paying everything off. And now that's no longer on there at least.

Probably fell off in 5 rather than 7 because of another technicality - 7 years from date of original delinquency and not the date the CA bought it and put it on my report. I think.

Huge thanks for the info @Revelate that I hopefully never need to know about again Smiley Tongue

TU (Discover App): 783
EX (EX website): 768

EQ (EQ website): 800
American Express Platinum NPSL || BofA Amtrak $12k || Citi Premier $9k || Disc: $8.5k || HSBC: $8.25k || Target MC: $5k || Apple: $5.5k || American Express Blue Cash Preferred $5k || American Express Delta Gold $5k || Saks: $4k || Amazon: $2.4k || Cap1: $2.5k
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it goes from the date of original delinquency both the OC trade line and the collection.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.