cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

Experian?

Over the last month, I've been paying my cards off. My scores for each have been increasing on average +13 points for each paid off card except for Experian. I paid off my Citi balance and TU and EQ both increased by 16 but on Ex it says your balance decreased by 1177 and 0 change but I applied for a 5000 loan through a credit union and EX says new inquiry +5. How is that possible that I decrease a balance by 1100.00 and no change but add inquiry and get +5? There is over a 20 point difference between TU/EQ and EX.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Contributor

Re: Experian?

@Monijah wrote:
Over the last month, I've been paying my cards off. My scores for each have been increasing on average +13 points for each paid off card except for Experian. I paid off my Citi balance and TU and EQ both increased by 16 but on Ex it says your balance decreased by 1177 and 0 change but I applied for a 5000 loan through a credit union and EX says new inquiry +5. How is that possible that I decrease a balance by 1100.00 and no change but add inquiry and get +5? There is over a 20 point difference between TU/EQ and EX.

Inquiries don't increase FICO scores.  It sounds like the net gain between the two events (balance paydown + inquiry) was +5 points.  This could mean you gained (say) 11 for the balance paydown, then lost (say) 6 for the inquiry.  The result is positive 5. 

Keep in mind that your scores can only change when report data changes.  If you pay down a card for example and that new reported balance lands on 2 bureaus but not the third, you can only see a score change related to those 2 bureaus as they're the only ones that have new data that can yield a new score related to the balance change. 

Paying down balances is always a great thing and will raise FICO scores.  It all has to do with crossing utilization thresholds, though.  There's no such thing is receiving an average of X points gain per card paid down or anything, as different cards have different balances and limits.  It's possible to pay down $100 on a card and see a 10 point gain, then pay down $3000 on your next card and see no gain at all. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.