Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 5 VS 8 Help understanding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO 5 VS 8 Help understanding

I got the collections taken off by writing a goodwill letter they looked at the accounts and they were all paid years ago and small amounts 100, 130, and 71, I received letters stating they are going to remove them and that was supposed to be reported on the 25th.

I then had the capital one card that had 122.00 on it that I paid off for the month, I do have two other cards one with 40.00 & one with 500.00 I was going to pay the 40.00 one off but now I'm doubting my self..  I'm also scared because the one with 500.00 I just recently paid 800.00 on that one and that statement doesn't close until March 10th ish so I'm worried now I'm going to see a drop because of that.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats even more odd is I have the Equifax app also and I got notification of the same balance drop today from them that my Equifax score increased by 10 points. But then my FICO Equifax score dropped 16.. Transunion or Experean have not alerted me yet on MYFICO.

Message 12 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the collections taken off by writing a goodwill letter they looked at the accounts and they were all paid years ago and small amounts 100, 130, and 71, I received letters stating they are going to remove them and that was supposed to be reported on the 25th.

I then had the capital one card that had 122.00 on it that I paid off for the month, I do have two other cards one with 40.00 & one with 500.00 I was going to pay the 40.00 one off but now I'm doubting my self..  I'm also scared because the one with 500.00 I just recently paid 800.00 on that one and that statement doesn't close until March 10th ish so I'm worried now I'm going to see a drop because of that.

At some point you just have to trust that what's worked for literally everyone in terms of optimizing their files will work for you too.

One revolving account, reporting a small but non-zero balance.  All other revolving accounts $0.

Your big problem is where I was a couple years ago: limited positive history, and non-trivial recent negatives.  You're going to see a bunch of squirrley changes in the monitoring as you get negatives off (many congrats on that btw!  I couldn't get one of my collections to budge at all) and you make material changes in your revolving utilization.  

Keep the faith, keep getting negatives off, keep paying down any high utilization... and yeah with managing your reported balances you didn't need that AU so the balance there is likely hurting more than helping. 

Anyway you're absolutely doing the right things, hang in there!

        
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks can you tell me when the negitives stop hurting you as much? I know they are on there for 7 years but from what I understand they start to not hurt you as much.. Is that after a year I will start to see less effect?

Message 14 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks can you tell me when the negitives stop hurting you as much? I know they are on there for 7 years but from what I understand they start to not hurt you as much.. Is that after a year I will start to see less effect?

That's true to some extent with deliquencies (I just had a non-trivial shift at the 6 month mark on my 30 day late that's on TU, like my TU Classic 04 part of the mortgage trifecta is now close to where I got my mortgage level even with that six month old late) but on the older models like the ones used for mortgage underwriting, a collection or similar hurts pretty much the entire time it's on there.

To give a personal data sample from a mortgage score (EQ Beacon 5.0) I had a tax lien from 2010, and in 2013 I had a brand new tax lien tacked onto my report: 5 points loss, 660 -> 665, so there wasn't much if any aging there.  Likewise I haven't been able to materially improve said score in the past year and roughly half: if I had fewer inquiries I'd sit at 700, which is precisely where I was at optimized for my mortgage so I know the tax lien for example didn't age in there, nor did my older 30/60 day lates (also from 2010).  

Your path to credit optimization is keep working on those negatives, and let those pretty OK's rack up on your current tradelines.  It does get better, but it's a long walk if you can't get all of those negatives airstruck easily.  Older credit score models are kinda depressing now that I think of it.

        
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.