Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO-8 Hat Trick Complete

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO-8 Hat Trick Complete

TU/EX have been maintained @ 850 for at least the past 16-17 months. For some reason, EQ was always the odd ball out being stuck somewhere in the 840 range. I gave up checking EQ over a year ago since it cost me each time. Fast forward to yesterday, I pulled my EQ score and was very pleased to see it @ 850.  

In case anyone's wondering, I don't practice AZEO regularly, nor do I have a mortgage. I do have several revolvers and one small installment loan with < 9% balance owed (SSL trick). 

Here's what my profile looked like when I hit 850 for the first time: 

AAoA: ~10.5 yrs

AoOA: ~19 yrs

AoYA: ~13 mo

Scorable Inquiries: 0

Installment loans: 1 open (< 30% owed)

Revolving accounts: 9 open

Auth user accounts: 1 open

Total Utilization: < 1%

AZEO: No

EQ-8 ScoreEQ-8 ScoreAmex EX-8Amex EX-8Chase EX-8Chase EX-8Discover TU-8Discover TU-8BofA TU-8BofA TU-8 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO-8 Hat Trick Complete

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is awesome!

I thought about printing your post to remind me "850 really does exist."  I doubt I'll ever make it, for sure it'll be years. But, stories like yours will help me stay in the gardern.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Octopus, congrats on the trifecta of 850.  I'll be right there with you in 8 weeks when my only scoreable inquiry on EQ goes away.

A few things.  One, it bothers me in the first image that you posted that with an 850 score the needle on the score range isn't pinned at the highest point.  That CMS needs to update their graphic Smiley Wink

Second, you listed your age of accounts factors for when you first noticed all 850's I believe.  My question for you is were you consistently checking them all along? 

Your AoOA is 2 years greater than is necessary for 850's and your AAoA is 3 years greater.  This to me means in theory you could have realized 850's as far back as 2 years ago, but probably only if your AoYA was > 12 months at a point in time during that span. 

While clearly AZEO isn't necessary for 850's, I think that either it OR AoYA > 12 years is necessary.  I'd be curious to know if anyone has gotten to 850 with both < 12 months AoYA and having more accounts with balances.  The installment loan being in an ideal place too of course is a 3rd factor to consider.  Perhaps having 2 out of 3 of these factors in place is what it takes for 850's...

Message 3 of 25
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous/EX have been maintained @ 850 for at least the past 16-17 months. For some reason, EQ was always the odd ball out being stuck somewhere in the 840 range. I gave up checking EQ over a year ago since it cost me each time. Fast forward to yesterday, I pulled my EQ score and was very pleased to see it @ 850.  

In case anyone's wondering, I don't practice AZEO regularly, nor do I have a mortgage. I do have several revolvers and one small installment loan with < 9% balance owed (SSL trick). 

Here's what my profile looked like when I hit 850 for the first time: 

AAoA: ~10.5 yrs

AoOA: ~19 yrs

AoYA: ~13 mo

Scorable Inquiries: 0

Installment loans: 1 open (< 30% owed)

Revolving accounts: 9 open

Auth user accounts: 1 open

Total Utilization: < 1%

AZEO: No

Nice work.

I also don't practice AZEO either. Since becoming AU on DW's card (always reports a balance but is PIF), I've not been down to AZEO. - Going on 24 years now Smiley Surprised

Do you have access to any BCE Fico 8 scores such as the  BCE EQ Fico 8 score provided by Citibank to card holders? Curious how BCE is scoring your file.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 25
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Octopus, congrats on the trifecta of 850.  I'll be right there with you in 8 weeks when my only scoreable inquiry on EQ goes away.

A few things.  One, it bothers me in the first image that you posted that with an 850 score the needle on the score range isn't pinned at the highest point.  That CMS needs to update their graphic Smiley Wink

Second, you listed your age of accounts factors for when you first noticed all 850's I believe.  My question for you is were you consistently checking them all along? 

Your AoOA is 2 years greater than is necessary for 850's and your AAoA is 3 years greater.  This to me means in theory you could have realized 850's as far back as 2 years ago, but probably only if your AoYA was > 12 months at a point in time during that span. 

While clearly AZEO isn't necessary for 850's, I think that either it OR AoYA > 12 years is necessary.  I'd be curious to know if anyone has gotten to 850 with both < 12 months AoYA and having more accounts with balances.  The installment loan being in an ideal place too of course is a 3rd factor to consider.  Perhaps having 2 out of 3 of these factors in place is what it takes for 850's...

Hi BBS, and thanks,  I'm looking forward to having you join the trifecta club!

It's possible I've been at 850 on EQ longer than I know, but I have no way of knowing exactly how long. I'm not sure what you are referring to in terms of "consistently checking them all along". If you mean my scores, then I was only consistently checking EX and TU, not EQ. The last EQ check was around April-May 2017.  It's plausible what was holding EQ back from 850 was there might've been scorable inquiries on EQ when TU/EX had none.  In my post, the factors listed are when I first hit 850 , not the first time I hit 850 on all 3. I first hit 850 on EX/TU in 2015, lost it for a few months in 2016 due to new accounts, then regained it in early 2017.  Hope that makes sense. 

@Regarding your last point, I've been at 850 with AoYA @ 0 months with balances reporting on multiple accounts. The YA was an SSL installment loan. So yes, in my case it was doable. I'm also curious to know if the YA was a revolver instead of an installment, would 850 still be possible. 

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb

Nice work.

I also don't practice AZEO either. Since becoming AU on DW's card (always reports a balance but is PIF), I've not been down to AZEO. - Going on 24 years now Smiley Surprised

Do you have access to any BCE Fico 8 scores such as the  BCE EQ Fico 8 score provided by Citibank to card holders? Curious how BCE is scoring your file.

Thanks TT! 24 years, that's awesome. I also figured AZEO wouldn't be possible for me since I'm an AU and that card only gets PIF when the statement cuts. I typically have anywhere from 2-4 cards reporting a balance. 

I do have FICO 8 BCE from Citi. What's odd is they list too many inquiries when I have zero hard inquiries whatsoever on any of my reports.

Citi-FICO-BC8.png 

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is awesome!

I thought about printing your post to remind me "850 really does exist."  I doubt I'll ever make it, for sure it'll be years. But, stories like yours will help me stay in the gardern.

Thanks SJM & 19eighty5! I once had scores stagnant in the mid 600's for years and never imagined 750 possible let alone 850. Long story short, it took time and discipline. I learned from past mistakes and vowed never to repeat them. 

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Octopus, I'm pretty confident that had you been checking all 3 of your scores more frequently you would have seen the trifecta sooner.  It sounds like you didn't check EQ for quite some time (5/17) so it's possible that (say) a year ago you have have been at 850 there.  I say this again because your Age of Accounts factors are extremely solid and have plenty of buffer there above the highest needed in order to achieve 850s.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBS, you're probably right. It had been quite some time since I last pulled EQ and very possible that when the other 2 regained 850, EQ was @ 850 also at the same time or very shortly thereafter. Either way, I hope I can keep maintaining it for the foreseable future. I might be able to absorb a new account as the last new account did not drop my scores, but I don't think I can take on any new inquiries without seeing a drop. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.