Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score 9 differences

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score 9 differences

Here are my FICO 8 & 9. Can’t figure out why Score 9 for EQ is so low at 750. It says I have a serious deliquency or degratory indicator which is not correct. Any thoughts from anyone?
EQ. TRU. EXP
8. 811 798 809
9. 750 819 823
I called Equifax and had them review my report and they said their was nothing negative on my report. I had myfico review my report and they it could be because I paid off my 1st and 2nd mortgage recently which wouldn’t explain why my score is much higher on TRU and EXP.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score 9 differences

We just had a recent discussion about this here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/FICO-9-vs-FICO-8-Equifax/m-p/5452802#M14...

I suggest you take a look.

Are you getting these scores from myFICO Ultimate?

Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Here are my FICO 8 & 9. Can’t figure out why Score 9 for EQ is so low at 750. It says I have a serious deliquency or degratory indicator which is not correct. Any thoughts from anyone?
EQ. TRU. EXP
8. 811 798 809
9. 750 819 823
I called Equifax and had them review my report and they said their was nothing negative on my report. I had myfico review my report and they it could be because I paid off my 1st and 2nd mortgage recently which wouldn’t explain why my score is much higher on TRU and EXP.

I would just chill for awhile and give it another cycle or two to straighten itself out. But if you want to get to the bottom of it sooner, you should get your full Equifax report and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Talking to their CSR's is a giant waste of time in my book.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with SouthJ and that is what I told the person in the other thread.  First line of attack should be to pull the full credit report from AnnualCreditReport.com and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

I also like SouthJ's suggestion to wait for a few months and see if the FICO 9 EQ magically bounces back up to the level of his other FICO 9 and FICO 8 scores.  Maybe there is something buggy going on that is in the process of being fixed at myFICO (or Equifax).  We do this with our computers all the time -- it's acting funny so we just do a reboot.  (Most of the time we never know what caused the weird glitch.)

The wait and see approach only is ideal, however, if our OP was planning to keep his subscription to the myFICO Ultimate for the next few months.  If he was planning to cancel (to avoid the $30 or $40 monthly charge) waiting around would be a costly option that might not solve anything.

I map out some steps for the OP in the other thread that might be applicable to our OP here.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS.  To followup on the "paid off my mortgage" theory (suggested by the Equifax rep) you can evaluate its probability if you have a full 3B report drawn at the same instant as the scores you gave us.

Certainly you should be scrutinizing the EQ data on that 3B report and comparing it to the EX and TU data.  If indeed you have large loans that were paid off on the EQ portion, but EX and TU showed the loans as open but mostly paid off, that would might account for a huge drop in EQ vs. TU/EX.  Trouble is it should have also caused a huge drop in FICO 8 EQ as well.

I hope our OP will get back to us and tell us what tool he was using to pull the scores and reports.  If it is the myFICO Ultimate, it would be useful to hear whether he has the $40/mo flavor or the $30/mo.

Message 5 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PS.  To followup on the "paid off my mortgage" theory (suggested by the Equifax rep) you can evaluate its probability if you have a full 3B report drawn at the same instant as the scores you gave us.

Certainly you should be scrutinizing the EQ data on that 3B report and comparing it to the EX and TU data.  If indeed you have large loans that were paid off on the EQ portion, but EX and TU showed the loans as open but mostly paid off, that would might account for a huge drop in EQ vs. TU/EX.  Trouble is it should have also caused a huge drop in FICO 8 EQ as well.

I hope our OP will get back to us and tell us what tool he was using to pull the scores and reports.  If it is the myFICO Ultimate, it would be useful to hear whether he has the $0/mo flavor or the $30/mo.

There's a $0/month flavor? I'll take that one Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I hope our OP will get back to us and tell us what tool he was using to pull the scores and reports.  If it is the myFICO Ultimate, it would be useful to hear whether he has the $0/mo flavor or the $30/mo.

I would for sure as well.  :-)

I went back and fixed the typo -- thanks!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I found the issue causing my low score. I had a Loan Modification done on a 2nd Mortgage several years ago. I read online only Equifax reports show Loan Mods. and the FICO model 9 flags this as a derogatory indicator which has a signicant impact to your score. Basically a Mortgage Modifcation is very bad on FICO score 9 for Equifax reports.
Message 8 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I would for sure as well.  :-)

I went back and fixed the typo -- thanks!

A typo?

Dang.

Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I think I found the issue causing my low score. I had a Loan Modification done on a 2nd Mortgage several years ago. I read online only Equifax reports show Loan Mods. and the FICO model 9 flags this as a derogatory indicator which has a signicant impact to your score. Basically a Mortgage Modifcation is very bad on FICO score 9 for Equifax reports.

Wow, that's a bummer.  I guess in time it will drop off. Perhaps you should start sending Equifax verification letters about it, in the hope of accelerating the dropping-off process.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.