FICO Score down 9 points for "You've recently been looking for credit."

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score down 9 points for "You've recently been looking for credit."

The cell phone cos, etc are now pulling hards and they

affect your scores.  It affected my EX for 2 years.  They

don't have to report anything good either.Smiley Sad

I did pick up 8 pts. when the inquiry fell off.

I have verizon and I don't know if this is considered a utility

or a subscription.  But they don't report payment history.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Far as I know none of them do ... only report when you fall behind and they go into collections.  So with that ur goal is to keep em silent.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

lost 8 pts with Equifax and reason given was

short credit history.  802 to 794.

I called them and the real reason they told me

was that I had 3 accts. reporting balances.   There

is no reason code for that hence the short credit history reason.

At least I know that the number of balances really

affect your score.

I am having trouble because I don't know

when my accts report.  They have changed.

Message 13 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I just lost 9 points when I went from 3 accounts to 4 accounts reporting. I had already lost some for going from 1 to 2. (Dear Scorewatch suggested that the reason might be because of a new late, which caused a pretty impressive coffee spit-take on reading. Upon checking, no new late.)

Believe me, "number of accounts with a balance" does count.

Granted, it can be turned around once all the billing cycles go through, and if you're not immediately looking for credit, it technically doesn't matter, but I like keeping my scores up. You never know when some opportunity might arise when you might want to apply, and it can be frustrating to wait 4-6 weeks for everything to go back to $0.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 17
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that, hauling.

And I'm getting impatient after waiting just three days for my ScoreWatch alert. I ran a score report off the EQ site on Sunday, which listed an anticipated score increase, so I don't know what's going on with that missing myFICO alert.

My quota of money to be spent on credit score reports is used up for the time being though. (If I spend more, I too will see more balance reporting!) Any chance Barry can give me a free ScorePower within my ScoreWatch?

Message 15 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Eh, thanks. It's a combo of a new card reporting, an existing 0% BT that I'm about to pay off, a card that reported earlier than I expected, and a 0% APR from Best Buy for a shiny new 40" Sharp Aquos TV in time for the World Cup. Smiley Wink

I'll be back down to one in 2 1/2 weeks. Still, it's a bit unsettling to loose a total of 14 points when going from one account with a balance to 4! Smiley Very Happy But I guess it's pretty much my only excitement these days in credit land.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 17
vjazar
New Visitor

I RECENTLY (WITHIN THE PAST THIRTY DAYS WENT FROM 780 - TO 760     -     AND FROM 780 - TO - 771     -     I HAD ONLY ONE APPLICATION IN WITH DISCOVER WHO GAVE ME A PRE-APPROVED LOAN (WHICH I CHOSE NOT TO TAKE AFTERWARDS) SO I APPLIED - WAS APPROVED - BUT DID NOT LIKE THE INTEREST RATE THAT THEY CHOSE TO OFFER ME WHICH WAS MUCH MORE THAN THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY IMPLIED!

PRESENTLY I AM AT 760 AND 771!  I AM VERY UNHAPPY AS THE DROP HAS PSYCHOLOGICALLY UPSET ME - HOWEVER, I GUESS IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE! 

THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO VOICE MY OPINION AND CONCERN TO HEAR THE VOICES OF PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF!

RESPECTFULLY,

Victor

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.