Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Scores Accurate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Scores Accurate?

Hello, 

I am a newbie to the community but from what it looks like there is some good advice here.

I recently purchased my FICO reports on the site. We are trying for a house and the lender stated she pulled my scores and their report shows lower scores. I thought the FICO scores were the accurate ones versus those you would get from say the Experian, Transunion, Equifax sites. 

Why are the scores pulled by the lender lower when I pulled the same scores the day before. I have score watch and according to it, there have been no changes. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Scores Accurate?

MyFICO offers two different FICO scores, one each for EQ and TU.

The EQ FICO is specifically called Beacon 5.0. This is used by most all mortgage lenders. I suggest going back into your tri-merge report and check the score version to make sure it says "Beacon 5.0". If it says something else, post back. If it does say that, then consider a score change as a source of the error. Scores can change daily if you have accounts updating all the time. Even adding $1 in some instances to a CC can result in a significant change. Also don't rely on SW alerts for your before and after comparison, with the reason being that score alerts only come every 7-10 days and a lot can happen in that time.

The TU FICO on here is used by a small number of mortgage lenders, but most lenders use a newer version. The one on here is usually listed as "FICO, Risk Score, Classic 98". Most lenders use a newer version listed as "FICO, Risk Score, Classic 04". The difference in these two versions when compared the same day can be small or well into the double digits.

None of the scores offered by the 3 CRAs are FICO scores when you purchase from their website. Equifax.com does have an EQ FICO available, but the score they push is a FAKO.

Message 2 of 8
AmberPlath

Where do we look to see what type of fico was pulled when on our tri-merge report??

Message 3 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@AmberPlath wrote:

Where do we look to see what type of fico was pulled when on our tri-merge report??

On a tri-merge it's nearly always:

Experian – Fair Isaac V2

TransUnion – Classic 04

Equifax – Beacon 5

It's effectively mandated by Fannie/Freddie for their underwriting purposes, and to my knowledge FHA winds up similarly.  Only possible exception would be jumbo mortgage lending but even there I suspect they use the common ones.

        
Message 4 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

The EQ FICO is specifically called Beacon 5.0. This is used by most all mortgage lenders. I suggest going back into your tri-merge report and check the score version to make sure it says "Beacon 5.0". If it says something else, post back. If it does say that, then consider a score change as a source of the error. Scores can change daily if you have accounts updating all the time. Even adding $1 in some instances to a CC can result in a significant change. Also don't rely on SW alerts for your before and after comparison, with the reason being that score alerts only come every 7-10 days and a lot can happen in that time.

The TU FICO on here is used by a small number of mortgage lenders, but most lenders use a newer version. The one on here is usually listed as "FICO, Risk Score, Classic 98". Most lenders use a newer version listed as "FICO, Risk Score, Classic 04". The difference in these two versions when compared the same day can be small or well into the double digits.

None of the scores offered by the 3 CRAs are FICO scores when you purchase from their website. Equifax.com does have an EQ FICO available, but the score they push is a FAKO.

Could the difference in score be the result of an enhanced score? Maybe the OP had some type of collection at some point from a landlord/apartment?

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@azguy13 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Could the difference in score be the result of an enhanced score? Maybe the OP had some type of collection at some point from a landlord/apartment?

OP hadn't been on in 6+ months, but there's a large number of unknowns and only assumptions with his/her post. OP says, "I thought the FICO scores were the accurate ones versus those you would get from say the Experian, Transunion, Equifax sites.". Experian.com and TransUnion.com never offered FICO scores on those two URLs. I'm guessing that OP was comparing a FAKO with a FICO. And of course you couldn't buy any EX FICO for years leading up to this past June, after his/her post. Assuming he/she is basing his/her assumptions solely on the EQ FICO (ScoreWatch mention was made by OP), then there could be some issues there which led to my comments. It's very easy to forget to reset the target score after every score change, and that can result in no score alerts. OP might be looking at a score that is days/weeks/months old in comparing to the EQ FICO from the lender. 

On enhanced scores, I have yet to see any posts made pointing out that their mortgage lender used a mortgage-enhanced FICO. I'm certain there are lenders out there somewhere that use it, but I've never seen anyone mention it. 

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

OP hadn't been on in 6+ months, but there's a large number of unknowns and only assumptions with his/her post. OP says, "I thought the FICO scores were the accurate ones versus those you would get from say the Experian, Transunion, Equifax sites.". Experian.com and TransUnion.com never offered FICO scores on those two URLs. I'm guessing that OP was comparing a FAKO with a FICO. And of course you couldn't buy any EX FICO for years leading up to this past June, after his/her post. Assuming he/she is basing his/her assumptions solely on the EQ FICO (ScoreWatch mention was made by OP), then there could be some issues there which led to my comments. It's very easy to forget to reset the target score after every score change, and that can result in no score alerts. OP might be looking at a score that is days/weeks/months old in comparing to the EQ FICO from the lender. 

On enhanced scores, I have yet to see any posts made pointing out that their mortgage lender used a mortgage-enhanced FICO. I'm certain there are lenders out there somewhere that use it, but I've never seen anyone mention it. 

I think the number is incredibly small, and probably relegated to the Jumbo space explicitly if any?  The Mortgage-enhanced score wasn't even introduced until FICO '08 if I remember the release correctly, and given that all banks aren't portfolioing conventional mortgages, that's explicitly '04 as is FHA I think.

        
Message 7 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@llecs wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I think the number is incredibly small, and probably relegated to the Jumbo space explicitly if any?  The Mortgage-enhanced score wasn't even introduced until FICO '08 if I remember the release correctly, and given that all banks aren't portfolioing conventional mortgages, that's explicitly '04 as is FHA I think.

I can't believe I didn't cath that this was an old thread, lol. Mortgages are not my area of expertise so I was not sure if they used an enhanced score. Thanks for the info!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.