cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico score after adding several new accounts went up not down!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico score after adding several new accounts went up not down!

So I joined myfico in April and my score was 674 Fico with Equifax... then I did a little application spree and added a few credit cards and a person loan and a auto re-fi after reading info in here and I figured my score would go down... instead it went way up!

Your FICO® score at Equifax is

738 as of June 4, 2011

Score percentileA score of 738 is better than 56% of U.S. consumers

PoorExcellent

My accounts... not including ones I am AU on of hubby's or old cc's that I have closed! Auto re-fi done in April and personal loan for home repairs..

Orchard/79.00Jan-06 $800.00
WalmartMay-07 $925.00

Wells Fargo

Feb-09 $2,100.00
KayJul-09 $2,400.00
MohawkAug-09 $2,000.00
Capital One/39.00Nov-10 $1,500.00
Victoria SecretApr-11 $350.00
CitiApr-11 $6,000.00
PayPal MastercardMay-11 $5,000.00

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Re: Fico score after adding several new accounts went up not down!

Yes it lowered your utilization most likely, the personal loan is also helping.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually all but one card had a zero balance.  I just checked another website I use, the only card not showing up is the Paypal and my util is 1%

Open Credit Card Utilization1%
A

Credit card utilization is defined as your total credit card balances divided by your total credit card limits. The utilization percentage is often correlated to your credit score.

Details:

Open Credit Card Debt (w/ Limits Reported):$105
Credit Card Limit:$16,050

@Awesomely wrote:

Yes it lowered your utilization most likely, the personal loan is also helping.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi brownidgirl (oh, just "got" your moniker Smiley Wink)

Congrats on your score increase!  That's always a great surprise!

For others reading this post, this is not the standard pattern when adding new accounts.  (Just thought I'd better throw that in before someone goes off and apps for a bunch of new stuff in hopes of a FICO score increase).

How are your baddies reporting?  IIRC, you had an issue with an old auto loan signed over to someone else?  Is that reporting consistently on your 3 CRA's?  Sometimes even the slightest change in the reporting of baddies can have a surprising impact.  I had one account that I didn't realize was reporting differently for over a year; and I was watching it.  When I went back with an eagle eye, for the twentieth time, I was able to finally spot the difference. 

Just remember there's always more going on on your credit reports than new accounts and utilization.  All sorts of little things move around on occasion.....

Congrats again on your FICO score!  Glad you're here and posting your experiences and victories!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually the auto loan was only on my CRA briefly about 10 years ago. Portfolio recovery just recently called trying to collect on it, and I explained to them that I signed over the vehicle at Ford Motor Credit, and they needed to request that paper work and quit calling me! I only have 1 baddy on my report, it's a medical collection for 85.00 that I am a listed as joint on, it was a medical bill for my husband for lab that the doctor sent off and we never got the bill on. We paid it as soon as we found it on out credit report. I believe I saw on hubby's Transunion report that it should fall off in August of this year. I did send out a letter 2 weeks ago asking the OC for it to be removed, I haven't heard anything back though.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.