cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent charge, late payment, decreased score by 100 points! I didn't even know about it! HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraudulent charge, late payment, decreased score by 100 points! I didn't even know about it! HELP

There's a card that I haven't used in like a year. There was a fraudulent charge on it in October, about $30. I always sign up for paper-less statements, and I don't login to the credit card apps unless I know I used it and need to pay it. I haven't used this card in a year, so as you can imagine, I never logged in to see any statements or pay anything, because I didn't use it. In december, my FICO score was still 746. And now, I checked my FICO score today, and... 639 equifax, 644 transunion... What? I though... so I called bank of america and disputed the charge. But what now? I mean, they credited my account with the $30, but will the scores stay low like this? I went on credit karma and filed a dispute with transunion, and I also went on equifax and filed a dispute... so what now? Will my score be back to 746? I am literally freaking out and literally crying because I wanted to apply for a mortgage and a business credit card and now I can't... I already have depression and anxiety, and this situation is literally making me cry, because now how long do I have to wait before applying for a mortgage and other credit cards? 3 months? How long before my score is back up to 746? How long before I can apply for a mortgage?

I literally just haven't ever checked that account because I never used the card! My last charge before this october was like last january, 2018. God, I hate myself for not checking it and I am so depressed and have so much anxiety. I have two little kids who are delayed with special needs and I already thought I will be applying for a mortgage right now, and now I'm screwed because I never checked that account and I am literally crying as I'm typing this, because if this score stays this low, my life is pretty much over. Sorry if it's dramatic but I literally have depression and so much stress and anxiety in my life, that I'm just at my limit and anything like this tips me over my stress limit.  I was relying on credit, I was relying on that to be good so I can get a mortgage-- a freaking home-- and a business credit card. And now this just messed up my life.  <minor mod edits>

<Mod note:  Please keep language family-friendly.  --UncleB, myFICO Moderator>

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Fraudulent charge, late payment, decreased score by 100 points! I didn't even know about it! HEL

First- CALM..... Be calm and be well....peacock.gif

This is fixable and even if it were not, your life wouldn't be "over" because of a few credit score points.

Keep it in perspective.. It can be challenging but it isn't life ending..

K.. Now that's out the way..

If this was indeed a fraud charge and your bank has removed it, is treating it as fraud, call them and ask that they notify the credit bureaus to remove the 30 day late. Easy Peasy..

They should gladly do that.

It may take a full reporting cycle for it to show up and your score to go back to where it was but what's 30 days in the grand scheme of life..

Hang in there..Hang in there.gif It will be OK in the end.. If it's not OK,,, it;'s not the end.. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraudulent charge, late payment, decreased score by 100 points! I didn't even know about it! HEL

Agreed.  This should be rather easy to deal with but as already mentioned, it may take a little time for the credit bureaus to update.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.