Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my 1st FICO Score today!!

tag
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

Got my 1st FICO Score today!!

So my first FICO Score just came out on Experian and it is 653.

But here's the thing, my credit utilization percentage is 49% mainly from my PayPal Credit where I owe $1164 out of $1200. It also shows my Chase Freedom Rise Card shows a $65 balance out of a $500 CL, and I allowed an $85 balance to show on my Capital One Quicksilver out of a $300 CL.

Is 653 really bad?

Next question, I plan to pay off the $1164 in full this week. My total credit lines from all my accounts is $2700. Once the updated balance on my credit reports shows $0 for my PP Credit, my credit utilization% will be 5%, not 49%. Will this significantly raise my FICO8 score to over 700? Does the FICO8 score update immediately once the util% drops on my  credit reports?

Any help would be appreciated thanks so much!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Got my 1st FICO Score today!!

653 would be considered fair credit. Getting your UTI down to 5% will be great, financially, and for your scores... But, I don't see you gaining 47 points from it... It will update next time your statement closes and reports to each CRA. Your scores will be recalculated then.

Nice job so far.

Message 2 of 27
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

653 would be considered fair credit. Getting your UTI down to 5% will be great, financially, and for your scores... But, I don't see you gaining 47 points from it... It will update next time your statement closes and reports to each CRA. Your scores will be recalculated then.

Nice job so far.

Thx for your reply! I know what I am about to use as an example is Vantage 3.0 not FICO8 but my Vantage 3.0 score was 683 when I had a 5%  credit utiliization in mid February. Once the $1164 PP Credit balance appeared on my credit reports my Vantage 3.0 score went down to 619. So it was a huge drop from 5% util to 49% util.

So I'm hoping my FICO score would rise a lot when my cred util drops to 5%. Maybe it could get to 700?

Message 3 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

But here's the thing, my credit utilization percentage is 49% mainly from my PayPal Credit where I owe $1164 out of $1200. It also shows my Chase Freedom Rise Card shows a $65 balance out of a $500 CL, and I allowed an $85 balance to show on my Capital One Quicksilver out of a $300 CL.

Is 653 really bad?

Next question, I plan to pay off the $1164 in full this week. My total credit lines from all my accounts is $2700. Once the updated balance on my credit reports shows $0 for my PP Credit, my credit utilization% will be 5%, not 49%. Will this significantly raise my FICO8 score to over 700? Does the FICO8 score update immediately once the util% drops on my  credit reports?

1. I don't know what "PayPal Credit" means, or how it reports. If it reports like a revolving credit card, then it will probably report only the balance showing when the statement cuts, and will probably report within a few days after the statement cuts.

2. The Capital One card reports the statement balance. It will probably appear in your reports a few days after the statement cut. If you pay it down before the statement cuts, it will report whatever is left. If zero is left, it will report zero.

3. The Chase Freedom card reports the statement balance, and it will appear in your reports a few days after the statement cut. However, Chase does something else, which is unusual -- if you pay the balance down to zero in the middle of a cycle, they will again report to the bureaus that you have a zero balance. So it may report to the bureaus several times during the same cycle.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 4 of 27
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

Is 653 really bad?

1. I don't know what "PayPal Credit" means, or how it reports.

2. The Capital One card reports the statement balance. It will probably appear in your reports a few days after the statement cut. If you pay it down before the statement cuts, it will report whatever is left. If zero is left, it will report zero.

3. The Chase Freedom card reports the statement balance, and it will appear in your reports a few days after the statement cut. However, Chase does something else, which is unusual -- if you pay the balance down to zero in the middle of a cycle, they will again report to the bureaus that you have a zero balance.

PayPal Credit reports to the bureaus just like a credit card. It's a credit line that I can use on PayPal. I'm hoping when that shows a $0 balance when I pay the $1164 off my FICO8 score will go up a lot. At least to 700. Going from a 49% credit util to a 5% util should help my score greatly hopefully.

Message 5 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

Is 653 really bad?

1. I don't know what "PayPal Credit" means, or how it reports.

3. The Chase Freedom card reports the statement balance, and it will appear in your reports a few days after the statement cut. However, Chase does something else, which is unusual -- if you pay the balance down to zero in the middle of a cycle, they will again report to the bureaus that you have a zero balance.

PayPal Credit reports to the bureaus just like a credit card. It's a credit line that I can use on PayPal. I'm hoping when that shows a $0 balance when I pay the $1164 off my FICO8 score will go up a lot. At least to 700. Going from a 49% credit util to a 5% util should help my score greatly hopefully.

Yes, probably it will help your score significantly.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 6 of 27
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@MikeyMagic wrote:

Is 653 really bad?

Congrats on getting a FICO score @MikeyMagic. That PayPal card is effectively maxed at that util percentage. I don't have a crystal ball, but it wouldn't surprise me if you hit 700 when it reports a $0 balance, all other accounts remaining the same. You'll give yourself a better chance at 700 if that Chase card reports around 5% versus the current 13%. Good luck!

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 27
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

And yet another congratulations @MikeyMagic for getting a FICO score, I agree with other posters, dropping your utilization will help your scores but not enough to get you anywhere near a 700 for FICO 8.  Regarding your Vantage scores, just consider them a mirage.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 8 of 27
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Like others have posted paying down your accounts should significantly raise your score. Other factors will also determine your future score. Good luck!

Message 9 of 27
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

Is 653 really bad?

A Fico score of 653 is not good. As a minimum you need to get above 660. More preferrably get score above 720 for better interest rates on loans. 

You are losing 50 to 65 points due to the PayPal revolving account at 97% utilization (20- 30 point impact), overall utilization at 49% (25-30 point loss) and 5 point loss for too many revolving accounts reporting balances.

I think you could get to a 700 score by optimizing revolving utilization and reporting a balance on only 1 revolving account. You will also get a significant score boost when your youngest account reaches 12 months age.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.