Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard inquiries: FICO vs VS/CK

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Hard inquiries: FICO vs VS/CK

I just checked my FICO score for Equifax (only one I have due to lacking a 6-month-old account on TU and EX) and to my surprise, it's up to 691! VS for EQ is 653.

But, the thing I wanted to specifically ask about is hard inquiries. I have gone around saying that I have 11/9/7 hard inquiries on my three reports. 11 for Equifax. That is what CK shows, and, they appear accurate to me when I view the list.

But FICO shows only four hard inquiries on EQ, not 11. I assume that is due to de-duping similar inquiries to reflect shopping around for credit, or the like.

My question is, which is the "real" number that matters? 11 is literally accurate, but is 4 what lenders would actually consider to be the real number, for Equifax?

Same logic would presumably apply to TU and EX, but, again, I can't see FICO scoring for those yet due to AoOA being less than six months.

Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hard inquiries: FICO vs VS/CK

CK counts all inquiries within 2 years.

The FICO algorithm only scores inquiries within the last year and myFICO explicitly just counts inquiries within the last year as a result.

That is likely the discrepancy.

        
Message 2 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Thanks, but all of my inquiries are since March of this year.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@KJinNC wrote:

Thanks, but all of my inquiries are since March of this year.

CMS fluff then =/.

        
Message 4 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Thanks - so to restate the question, CK says I have 11 hard inquiries on Equifax (and they all look legit to me when viewing the list), FICO says I have 4 hard inquiries on Equifax. Both are current numbers, and, all inquiries are well within 12 months of now.

Which is the real, meaningful number in terms of what lenders would consider? For example, if I were to put my hard inquiries in my signature, would I put 11 or 4? Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@KJinNC wrote:

Thanks - so to restate the question, CK says I have 11 hard inquiries on Equifax (and they all look legit to me when viewing the list), FICO says I have 4 hard inquiries on Equifax. Both are current numbers, and, all inquiries are well within 12 months of now.

Which is the real, meaningful number in terms of what lenders would consider? For example, if I were to put my hard inquiries in my signature, would I put 11 or 4? Thanks.

11 imo if you worry about such things hah, or at least that's what I always did when counting.

Out of curiosity if you do the calculation by hand, are there some of your 11 that should be de-duped?  Assume 45 day de-dupe window for mortgage, auto, student loan inquiries, does it get to 4?

        
Message 6 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

If I combine all credit cards into one, all auto loans into one, all personal loans into one, and I have one miscellaneous that could be its own category, I can get to four ... but, I didn't think FICO de-duped credit card inquiries, since the interest rates are stated before you apply. So, it's a bit of a mystery to me.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

7 new accounts in 2 months? With only a single EQ fico score...if you don't mind me asking what are the accounts that you opened in that time?
I wonder what score they were pulling to get you approved with no TU or EX.
Props for a strong push to establish your credit
Message 8 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Secured cards, Amazon Store Card, Self Lender loan, My Jeweler Club. Basically all easy to get, starter type stuff. On Equifax only, I have some old positive accounts from 2009-2012. I'm surprised EQ FICO is as high as it is, considering that I really just began my build/rebuild in April. That said, I still doubt I'd be approved for anything that's remotely difficult to get, due to my massive number of new accounts.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.