Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with utilization

I'm in a rebuilding process and would like help understanding utilization. Is utilization calculated on overall or on individual accounts such as credit cards? I have 3 credit cards that I've gotten in the past year (2 of those in the last 6 months) and have paid significantly more than the minimum on each and have never been late. I have also learned to pay them multiple times a month. What is the best way to manage utilization to help my credit score? Does each card need to be under 30% or do I just need to make sure I'm low on overall combined limit? I have car and student loans as well - do they count? Any advice on how best to manage utilization with these cards will be greatly helpful!

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Help with utilization

Both. However aggregate is a bigger factor and best kept under 28.9% overall for FICO scores. However you don't want to spook a lender and keep 2 cards at say 25% and 1 card at 90%. Maxing out a credit card continually may lead to balance chasing, closure. 

It's good that you are pay in excess of the minimum, just try to keep at max, no more than 28.9% (threshold for points) this includes any accured interest with each statement if you must carry a balance and pay interest.

Yes, student loans and auto loan are part of your FICO scores as long as they are reported to the bureaus, buy here pay here most likely wouldn't if auto loan. But the utilization is not factored as that in credit cards. It will at one point, when it reaches under 8.9% the most and your only installment. Same for credit cards, if you down the road are looking for large purchase, new car, mortgage, then you want only 1 credit card to report a low balance under 8.9% of it's credit line, and let the remaining credit cards be paid in full by statement cut and reporting zero.

Message 2 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Credit Cards are most important.

Student Loans are least important (as long as no negatives.)

You want to be under 9% total on credit cards 

or 

under 29% or under 49% depending on where you are now.

You also need to pay attention to the same numbers for each card.

Finally, you also need to pay attention to how many cards have ANY balance.

In other words, try to balance out your cards if you HAVE to keep a balance.  It is better to have 3 $1000 cards at 25% than 1 card at 10%, 1 card at 20% and 1 card at 45% in general.

Sometimes it is not possible (I just did a $20k 0% check) and it will affect your score but it is temporary and less impactful the thicker your file is.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

If you keep each of your cards at 28.9% or below, your lenders will be happy. There'll be points on the table, but your profile will look good.

To get every possible point, you'd implement AZEO (all zero except one). Report a small balance ($5, but not much more) on one card, with the rest of your cards reportingh balances of zero.

Most people will see their AZEO scores with 8.9% overall utilization and 28.9% individual card utilization. Some get dinged slightly when they're below those thresholds, though. That's why one does the tiny balance thing when every point counts.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the replies above without specifically mentioning it are referring to reported balance utilization percentages.  This is important to understand for the OP because it's absolutely fine to be at (say) 50%, even 100% utilization on a card mid-cycle so long as you know it will be paid down significantly to a good place prior to it reporting.

Also OP, you mention paying greatly in excess of the minimum payments.  While that's a great starting point, what you'll want to work toward is always paying in full (your statement balance) every cycle.  This is the best sign of healthy credit behavior and a practice that will keep you out of revolving debt trouble.

Message 6 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in a rebuilding process and would like help understanding utilization. Is utilization calculated on overall or on individual accounts such as credit cards? I have 3 credit cards that I've gotten in the past year (2 of those in the last 6 months) and have paid significantly more than the minimum on each and have never been late. I have also learned to pay them multiple times a month. What is the best way to manage utilization to help my credit score? Does each card need to be under 30% or do I just need to make sure I'm low on overall combined limit? I have car and student loans as well - do they count? Any advice on how best to manage utilization with these cards will be greatly helpful!

Thanks!

1. There are 2 separate revolving utilization factors. 1 is individual cards, 1 is aggregate utilization.

2. As @Anonymous pointed out, the utilization is computed as of the reporting date, which is usually -- but not always -- the statement date.  We would need to know the specific lenders to tell you if they follow the general rule, or are exceptions. You can always find out yourself when your lender reports by examining your credit reports carefully.

3. The best way to manage utilization is to make sure that the reported balance for any individual account does not exceed 28% and that the aggregate reported balances do not exceed 8.9%. Additionally, it is important to have some account(s) reporting zero balances. When trying to enhance your mortgage scores this is especially important, but it is important to your scores at any given moment that there be at least one account reporting a small balance.

4. The installment loans are computed separately. Those are evaluated solely on aggregate installment utilization. You get points for paying them down, but you don't get the really big bang until your aggregate utilization is down to 9%. In FICO 8 scores you will get penalized when your installment loans are paid off; the mortgage scores are barely affected.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for clarifying. My first question is what does "OP" mean? Also; I have the means to pay in full, but I read a lot about making multiple payments, much larger than minimum and to carry a small (5-10%) balance to have the greatest positive impact on score. Is this not the best approach? There is so much information out there - I am trying to figure the best way to manage the cards to build trust with the issuers and to raise score. What is the best advice given my goals with the credit cards? Are there others who have seen success in scores, limit increases, etc? I have Capital One Platinum, Quicksilver and a Discover. The Capital One Platinum is over a year old and the other two are less than 6 months old.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! The lenders are Capital One and Discover. I will start making sure that one of them reports 0. Do you think it helps from the lender's standpoint if it is reporting 0 when considering credit limit increases?
Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for clarifying. My first question is what does "OP" mean? Also; I have the means to pay in full, but I read a lot about making multiple payments, much larger than minimum and to carry a small (5-10%) balance to have the greatest positive impact on score. Is this not the best approach? There is so much information out there - I am trying to figure the best way to manage the cards to build trust with the issuers and to raise score. What is the best advice given my goals with the credit cards? Are there others who have seen success in scores, limit increases, etc? I have Capital One Platinum, Quicksilver and a Discover. The Capital One Platinum is over a year old and the other two are less than 6 months old.

1. OP refers to the original post, or the original poster.

2. Making multiple payments does not help at all; that is fiction you were provided with. If you can pay in full, pay in full. If you want to optimize your score, pay all but one of them in full before the balances report, be sure the balance reported on the one account is a small balance and pay it off after it reports.

3.  Carrying a small balance doesn't help you at all; it probably hurts you. As mentioned above, letting a small balance report before you pay it off, on one card, is good.

As to the "best advice", I've given you the best advice.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.