Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Individual utilization

tag
accjohn1990
Contributor

High Individual utilization

I have a card that has a predatory rate policy that is retroactively charging interest at 29.9% soon. The cost will be about $700 overnight. I can pay it off in full, but I would have to allow other cards utilizations to go up to almost 50%. With the one card at 0% overall utilization should be around 25%-30%. What will this do to my scores? Will I have any chance at cli's on the cards left at ~50%. It will be a while before I want to bring all cards below 30% 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: High Individual utilization

@accjohn1990 wrote:

I have a card that has a predatory rate policy that is retroactively charging interest at 29.9% soon. The cost will be about $700 overnight. I can pay it off in full, but I would have to allow other cards utilizations to go up to almost 50%. With the one card at 0% overall utilization should be around 25%-30%. What will this do to my scores? Will I have any chance at cli's on the cards left at ~50%. It will be a while before I want to bring all cards below 30% 

When you have something that is that predatory, you have to put economics first, and pay it off ASAP.  It will probably hurt your scores, but it's only in the short term. Try for the CLI's first.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Finances over FICO. Pay that predatory card off (and close it too while you're at it, I'd say), and don't worry about your other cards. 50% util isn't good, but it's not the end of the world. I don't think your lenders will mind too much as long as you are making good progress on the paydown afterwards. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 4
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Agree with @SouthJamaica  and @OmarGB9 

Pay it off ASAP!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.