cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Did I Get a Lower Score with a Generous Credit Card Payment

tag
PDXBaby

How Did I Get a Lower Score with a Generous Credit Card Payment

I am trying to improve my credit to get a renovation loan.  So this month I put a few thousand dollars toward my credit cards.  However, this actually made my FICO score DECLINE!  I am not understanding why.  I did not pay them completely off and I have no other marks.  I was 2 points away from a new loan and now I am 12.  It is so frustrating.  I haven't foudn anything that expalins why this might happen.   Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: How Did I Get a Lower Score with a Generous Credit Card Payment

Are you certain that the score was calculated based on updated balances on your reports?

The fact that you've paid down a balance may not be reflected on your report for some time.

Also, where are you getting your scores from?

Message 2 of 5
PDXBaby

I got the scores from here.  It also shows the updated balances.  I cannot figue out what happened.  There is nothing else new on my report.  I can't figure it out.

Message 3 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

I don't know the answer based on the information available.

Beyond issues of reporting and updating, another angle might be to ask how much your payment lowered your utilization.

Typically the best score improvements occur when utilization is lowered dramatically, for example from 80% to 10%.  In contrast, lowering your utilization from say 60% to 50% will not have nearly the same effect.

FICO scoring also looks at per-card utilization, and high individual utilizations or maxing out a card hurts you, as does a high proportion of cards with balances.

Beyond the utilization angle, it's worth asking if anything else has changed -- derogatories showing up, new accounts, lowered AAoA, hard pulls, and so on.

Message 4 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Compare  the score reasons on the credit report before you made the payments and the credit report after you made the payments.  The score reasons are in order of impact. What changed is the there a new score reason or did the order of the reasons change or both? Below is a link  that might help you with the score reasons meaning. Hope this helps

http://www.scoreinfo.org/FICO-Scores/Pages/Score-Factors.aspx

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.