cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are closed accounts affecting my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are closed accounts affecting my credit score?

Good morning peeps!

So I have a few closed credit card accounts on my credit report. I have a balance on them and late payments. Neither of these have went to collections and they've been closed over a year. What I've noticed is that my overall credit utilization is at 0% and my payment history is at 100%. So it's as if they are not affecting my credit. I'm sure that's not possible though. They are all "Charged off as bad debt". So my question is: How are these negatively affecting my credit even though I can't see any affect on my payment history or utilization?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: How are closed accounts affecting my credit score?

@Anonymous   Which CMS Credit Monitoring Service are you using? Usually, there are delinquencies leading up to the charge off, e.g. 30, 60, 90,120, etc day lates. Have you noticed a FICO score decrease? The charge off is a derogatory and is definitely impacting your FICO score.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using Experian and Credit Karma.

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That might be the reason. Grab your FICO's from experian.com. Pay $1 and cancel before the trial ends and report back.

Message 4 of 5
gorgon
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That might be the reason. Grab your FICO's from experian.com. Pay $1 and cancel before the trial ends and report back.

+1  And just to add a data point, Credit Karma also says I have 100% payment history even though I have seven lates on each report. The reason is that CK does not factor closed accounts in the on-time payment percentage from what I can tell.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.