cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do my old CC chargeoffs affect me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long do my old CC chargeoffs affect me?

Hola!
All three of the credit bureaus state that I pay on time 86% of the time. Since my bankruptcy two years ago I have paid everything on time. The reason why it states this is because of 4 credit card accounts that are due to drop off this spring. Are these actually still affecting my score? Or is it just stating that I was late at one point hence the 86% but it's not actually affecting the numbers?
Also once these drop off, will my average age of accounts drop dramatically because all of those accounts are gone? almost like they never existed? They are my oldest accounts and I basically had no accounts in between those ones and my new ones after bankruptcy, because I couldn't get any lol. If they aren't affecting my score, it's crazy to think about a charge off falling off, will actually affect me negatively because of the average age. Thanks guys. :-)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long do my old CC chargeoffs affect me?

With regards to scoring, charge offs will stay on the reports for 7 years, and once they drop off your scores will improve dramatically. You might also send Good Will letter to get them off early, please refer to the rebuilding forum for that.

With regards to your ability to obtain more credits, some creditor are more lenient than others if you have COs on your report.  Once the COs fall off, then it won't matter anymore. Except for the lenders that you have COs with, they have internal records, and many of them aren't very forgiving.

Message 2 of 5
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hola!
All three of the credit bureaus state that I pay on time 86% of the time. Since my bankruptcy two years ago I have paid everything on time. The reason why it states this is because of 4 credit card accounts that are due to drop off this spring. Are these actually still affecting my score? Or is it just stating that I was late at one point hence the 86% but it's not actually affecting the numbers?
Also once these drop off, will my average age of accounts drop dramatically because all of those accounts are gone? almost like they never existed? They are my oldest accounts and I basically had no accounts in between those ones and my new ones after bankruptcy, because I couldn't get any lol. If they aren't affecting my score, it's crazy to think about a charge off falling off, will actually affect me negatively because of the average age. Thanks guys. :-)

Although they do diminish over time. The hard reality is they will effect your score until they are actually removed. How much they affect is a different story altogether. No one knows for sure. But i will give you example. in 2014 i had a 6.5 year charge off. and finally with 3 months until drop off. I asked for early exclusion from my reports since it would go off. They did not do it. But transunion asked if i wanted to dispute as old and obsolete. I finally said yes. My score jumped 75 points after it was gone. YMMV> But that is the example that im giving. It was 6 years and 9 months old and despite that it was affecting my score that much.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still have 1 closed collection mind you, but my C/O fell and...

EQ  596 to 627

TU  583 to 621  Yes...seriously.

EX  600 to 636

I can't tell you how the C/O battle was won, however, if I at least provide the point difference from exclusion, one could form an idea of how much a C/O holds on a score.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

On my Transunion report all that is left showing is:

Bankruptcy July 2015 and 2 of the accounts included in BK. These 2 accounts show {Zero balance, included in bankruptcy}

Are these 2 accounts what would be called "Charge Offs"?

Listed as zero and included in bankruptcy, do these still affect my credit score?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.