Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much will my score be affected?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much will my score be affected?

What do you guys think of having her take out a loan, and having me co-sign?
Message 11 of 22
fused
Moderator Emeritus

dog wrote:
all of the issues that come along with such an arrangement aside, i would get the house before i transferred the friend's balance onto my card.

Are you sure you are not a SUPER contributor?Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 22
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Mr_Michael wrote:
What do you guys think of having her take out a loan, and having me co-sign?

I would do that instead or opening new accounts and taking on the balances.
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

She's a dear friend - and I'm trying to help her out as much as I can, but god I'm not about to shoot myself in the foot and stop myself from my own dream of getting a house. Needless to say - I'm researching all avenues before making a decision. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how co-signing affects my credit?
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the high compliments, fused! and to mr. michael, co-signing means it is your account as much as the party you are signing for. the account will report on your cr's just like on hers. i have heard others here suggest that if you do co-sign, have the party pay you directly a couple of weeks before the payment is due and then you make the payment. this will help you avoid lates and other baddies; however, you must not forget that if the other party defaults, it is your loan. my wife made the mistake of co-signing a 5k student loan for her worthless slug of a brother several years back...guess who got to pay it off?
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crap - so that means it also adds on to my debt to income ratio then, huh?
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this messes up your debt/income ratio.  This account will show up as a JOINT account on your CR.  It will be as if you opened this account together with your friend.  you will be LEGALLY responsible for this account just as much as you are for all your individual accounts.

based on personal experience, i would advise you against co-signing for anyone.  i co-signed for a good friend (or so i thought at the time) in college for a car lease.  his score was down in the low 500s and mine was over 760.  and of course not only did he have about 15 late payments over the life of the car lease (30 days, 60 days, 90 days), he also didn't have money to pay the fees at the end of hte lease and i barely got him to turn the car in on time....that only happened because i contacted his mom and she yelled at him.  anyway, due to his late payments, my scores dropped into the 500s.  i am working my way back up (as the lates get older), but it basically just takes time.  i have NEVER paid any bill late in my entire life...and i have plenty of bills to keep track of.  and i got screwed in my credit scores just for trying to help out a friend.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

it would behoove you, in my opinion, to follow annaz's advice.  i dont want to preach, but friendships end for the silliest of reasons- and it seems all more common for them to end when money is involved.  you never know when a (former) friend might say "screw him, i have bad credit anyway, who cares if he gets smacked too."
Message 18 of 22
Beledona
Regular Contributor

Wow you are really generous.  What if God Forbid this friend doesn't pay it back ever?
I had an ex-boyfriend who did this and I in the end filed bancrupcy. (may be spelled wrong)  But believe you me that was better than sticking it out with that loser.  10 years on my credit record is better than trying to get him to pay.  I am slowly but surely gettting my life back on track.  I am much much wiser now...
Message 19 of 22
Boswd
Valued Contributor

yeah I have to agree with all the other posters.   If you are looking to get a house soon, this would not be an ideal situation to get into.  We all want to help out our friends and family members and God bless you for even thinking of it but as bad as it sounds you really do have to look out number 1.   If you are looking to buy a house, don't open up any new credit, don't co-sign and get everything up to date.    Co-signing is just bad news all around, it could have a negative affect on your friendship is she doesn't pay on time.

I'm sorry there isn't an easier answer. 
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.