cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to gain more credit points? What should I do next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to gain more credit points? What should I do next?

@Remedios wrote:

Umm, no. Settling doesn't extend reporting period, nothing does. 

Pay for delete works just fine with settlements.

Do not dispute valid negatives, that's a credit killer. If just one comes back verifed, all the effort goes down the drain. 

I have to agree with @Remedios .

Settling debts do not extend the 7.5 year reporting period. Nothing can change the DoFD once the account is closed with a negative status (CO, repo, fc, etc.).

You can settle for less and PFD, but do not expect it from all CAs. Some CAs may require you to PIF for the PFD or you settle for less and the derog remains. 

Disputing valid accounts can hurt your scores when they are updated/verified. Credit Karma literally states on theur app/website that dispute cannot hurt your scores, but this is most definitely untrue. The longer since the last update, the bigger the hit to your scores. Depending on what is reporting, the creditor may even tack on additional (valid) lates that they may have not previously reported.

I have a couple accounts that look much better on one bureau than the others, and I have opted to not dispute (even with valid reason) because from previous experience, even if disputing with only 1 bureau, the creditor updated all 3 bureaus, and changed the less negative account info on the one bureau into a much worse account history, which was valid, but still really hurt, and now I am stuck with it. This is called "poking the bear". So I also suggest to look over all 3 reports to decide, even if it is a valid dispute, if what you are disputing is really worth it.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that breakdown. This makes more sense I would only peak at credit karma just to get an idea.. but I see thats not a good idea. Yes, I was caught up in the Yellow, Green, Red color grid thinking OMG I need to fix all of this. Thanks again I'm so thankful everyone has taken time to respond to my post. These little gems are helping me out. 

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your feedback! I have been disputing my one and only collection with Ad Astra (Speedy cash $547) for two years, Now that i'm trying to purchase a home I'm tryingto settle it wheter they take a settlement or I have to pay it in full. I've sent Verification letters, Factual disputes, MOV letters and recently sent the Pay to delete. At this point I just want it to be over with. 

I sent them an email yesterday via thier website, I'm assuming they were closed due to Presidents Day, I received a message that someone will be in contact with me inthe next 24-48hrs. Hopefully we can settle this account by Friday. 

I was thinking that I needed a credit card to replace my car loan that would be paid off soon but I have enough student loans to make-up for that hopefully :-)...  

I will most definelty keep the UTI low an allow $5 to report on one of my cards. 

Thanks again for dropping gems! 

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @Remedios & @Anonymous .

Also, You can't replace a loan with a credit card. And if you get a credit card again, it's just going to prolong having an increase in your score because it's going to bring down your average ages plus the inquiry. Follow the advice above and sit on your hands. Work on those derogatories. 

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad to hear "pay for deletes" are fine. I've read a lot of success stories with them as well as some people experencing point increase which is always good in my case. 

After I handle this one collections account I will not have anything further to dispute. The charge off is there, it closed, no payment history reporting and it's due to fall off next year. So, I will let that ride out. 

Thanks again for dropping gems! 

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you feedback! 

Yeah, I've decided to apply for a credit card. I was afraid of loosing that age & payment history on my car loan but as I mentioned I'm pretty sure I have enough student loans to make up the loss. 

Yes, my derogatory account is priority right now! 

Thanks for dropping Gems! 

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes don’t touch the other one. It could cause an update and hurt you.
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for you feedback! 

Yeah, I've decided to apply for a credit card. I was afraid of loosing that age & payment history on my car loan but as I mentioned I'm pretty sure I have enough student loans to make up the loss. 

Yes, my derogatory account is priority right now! 

Thanks for dropping Gems! 

@Anonymous you're not gonna lose your age and payment history from your loan. But you are going to hurt your chances for a mortgage and hurt your scores by getting a new card. 

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

There’s nothing wrong with trying to Goodwill the chargeoff though.
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I won't! Thank you for dropping gems! 

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.