Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will 50% utilization affect score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will 50% utilization affect score?

I am having surgery soon. It's going to cost what's left of my deductible, about $3k. I have two credit cards, one is OpenSky secured ($200) that I only use for Netflix subscription, and a Discover with a 6k credit line. I only have a balance of $275 on that card, so my utilization is very low. (My Discover card is It with cash back and it's a new card, so I have 0% interest for the next year.) If I put the entire balance of my surgery on my card, that will put my utilization at approximately 50%. Will that be hugely detrimental to my score? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: How will 50% utilization affect score?

Yes, you'll lose around 20-30 points when you increase your utilization to 50 percent.

But remember, that's temporary! As soon as you pay your cards down, your scores will go right back up. Fortunately, utilization has no memory. Many of us experience score fluctuations periodically due to rising or falling utilization.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 17
dacv01
Regular Contributor

+1. The good news is this will bounce back once balance decreases. I am sitting at 50% currentl on CR and dropped 22 points when this was raised. Just paid down to below 30% so this will give me a good boost 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 3 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Excellent advise from all of the above.

Finances over FICO. Take advantage of that 0% APR promo.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ this. Plus, 48.9% is a scoring breakpoint. Pay Disco down to 48% (which would be a payment down to a balance of $2880), and you'll fall under that threshold and probably pick up 5 points or so right then.

Message 5 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am having surgery soon. It's going to cost what's left of my deductible, about $3k. I have two credit cards, one is OpenSky secured ($200) that I only use for Netflix subscription, and a Discover with a 6k credit line. I only have a balance of $275 on that card, so my utilization is very low. (My Discover card is It with cash back and it's a new card, so I have 0% interest for the next year.) If I put the entire balance of my surgery on my card, that will put my utilization at approximately 50%. Will that be hugely detrimental to my score? 

Have you thought about adding another card to the mix? What are your stats?

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 6 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

All very good info. Luckily it's a Discover card. A lender who shouldn't get skittish with temporary increase. Try to at least double or triple min monthly payment though. Even more if possible. GL with procedure.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at 59% on my CFU. Cost me about 27 pts. No biggie, I'll get them all back immediately when I PIF in June. 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, might I suggest going with a Discover CLI request first?  You said your current utilization is low on the card around maybe 5%, so you're in a good position to request one.  Have you tried for Discover CLIs in the past?  They can be hit or miss.  You could come away with a $1k-$2k CLI for example, which would then absorb some of that balance you plan to carry utilization wise, where you'd be sitting at 38%-43% instead of 50% using the numbers above as an example.  That's a full threshold lower and could possibly be accomplished with 30 seconds of time invested online.

Message 9 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, might I suggest going with a Discover CLI request first?  You said your current utilization is low on the card around maybe 5%, so you're in a good position to request one.  Have you tried for Discover CLIs in the past?  They can be hit or miss.  You could come away with a $1k-$2k CLI for example, which would then absorb some of that balance you plan to carry utilization wise, where you'd be sitting at 38%-43% instead of 50% using the numbers above as an example.  That's a full threshold lower and could possibly be accomplished with 30 seconds of time invested online.

I don't think that is an option. OP stated the Discover is new.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.