tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I am baffled by this....

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is an interesting data point......My EX report still shows the Tax Lien, and it doesn't show it as paid like TU did.  My EX score is 5 points higher.  Could it be that having a paid lien removed that was almost 7 years ago took away some history, thus causing the drop?

No, that wouldn't be it. When my tax lien vanished from TU, my score jumped 77 points. The difference is that in my case, it was my only derog.

It would have been nice to get +77 but instead I got -3 !!!

Yeah, I wish it would vanish on the other two. Those scores still suck.

Are yours paid? Not paid?  Near 7 years?

You can request a withdraw from the IRS if its paid.  Mine is paid but near the 7 year mark so I asked for early exclusion.  It was due to fall off in Septempber anyway.

Message 11 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is an interesting data point......My EX report still shows the Tax Lien, and it doesn't show it as paid like TU did.  My EX score is 5 points higher.  Could it be that having a paid lien removed that was almost 7 years ago took away some history, thus causing the drop?

No, that wouldn't be it. When my tax lien vanished from TU, my score jumped 77 points. The difference is that in my case, it was my only derog.

Wait to see what happens on the other two bureaus when you next get an update; changes don't happen isolation unfortunately with any of the monitoring solutions.

Two possible things occurred:

- Some other change in your report caused the 3 point drop, and removing the lien did effectively nothing scorewise, or otherwise cancelled out the positive benefit which seems unlikely if there was a big change just from the tax lien falling off.

- There was a rebucketing event and suddenly you're scoring slightly worse against people that just have collections than those who had collection + tax lien.

End of day getting the tax lien off is the important thing, and a small drop or small gain isn't worth worrying about.  The limiter on your scores are now the collections, address those and then you'll likely get the 70+ point leap that Captool, Jamie and others have received on that.

There's no correlation between TU and EX FICO 8 scoring unfortunately, can't even really do that with VantageScore and that will produce a much closer score set across the bureaus than any FICO model released to date with the possible exception of FICO 9 which we just haven't seen yet as consumers... but everyone's file is just slightly different between the bureaus, devil is in the details unfortunately.

        
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I wish it would vanish on the other two. Those scores still suck.

Are yours paid? Not paid?  Near 7 years?

You can request a withdraw from the IRS if its paid.  Mine is paid but near the 7 year mark so I asked for early exclusion.  It was due to fall off in Septempber anyway.

It's paid. It's from March of 2008, but unfortunately I didn't finally get it paid off, (it was huge), until March of this year so I'm nowhere near the 7 year mark. It vanished from TU toward the end of February so it appears they used 7 years as the time frame even though it wasn't paid off at the time. Also, unfortunately, it's a state tax lien so I'm stuck.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I would request a EE on the baddies coming off in January.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Now I would request a EE on the baddies coming off in January.

That is just inside of the 6 month mark.  I'll give it a try!

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait to see what happens on the other two bureaus when you next get an update; changes don't happen isolation unfortunately with any of the monitoring solutions.

Two possible things occurred:

- Some other change in your report caused the 3 point drop, and removing the lien did effectively nothing scorewise, or otherwise cancelled out the positive benefit which seems unlikely if there was a big change just from the tax lien falling off.

- There was a rebucketing event and suddenly you're scoring slightly worse against people that just have collections than those who had collection + tax lien.

End of day getting the tax lien off is the important thing, and a small drop or small gain isn't worth worrying about.  The limiter on your scores are now the collections, address those and then you'll likely get the 70+ point leap that Captool, Jamie and others have received on that.

There's no correlation between TU and EX FICO 8 scoring unfortunately, can't even really do that with VantageScore and that will produce a much closer score set across the bureaus than any FICO model released to date with the possible exception of FICO 9 which we just haven't seen yet as consumers... but everyone's file is just slightly different between the bureaus, devil is in the details unfortunately.

Thank you Revelate for the concise breakdown of what possibly could have occured.  It makes sense and I tend to think that I have be "rebucketed."  Hopefully I can get these baddies off sooner than January and hope to see a rise in scores!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.