Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just missed apayment...

tag
Tomew2000
Regular Contributor

I just missed apayment...

By oversight I just went 30 days over on cc account.   Anyone know what that does to your score?   Hasn’t happened in 4-5 years 

18 REPLIES 18
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: I just missed apayment...

@Tomew2000 wrote:

By oversight I just went 30 days over on cc account.   Anyone know what that does to your score?   Hasn’t happened in 4-5 years 

As in you missed entirely or failed to make at least the mininum payment on the account 2 months in a row?  Expect to see your FICO 8 score  drop somewhere around 80-100 points. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The answer to that question (assuming it's reported) is very complex and depends on your current credit profile.  Might do very little damage to someone with a thick file who already has lots of recent lates, while someone who has a thin file but scores in the 800s might see them plunge a LOT.  Has it been 30 days since the original due date, meaning that yet another due date has now come and gone?  Has the account been brought current?

Message 3 of 19
Tomew2000
Regular Contributor

Yes.    I didn’t pay March, meaning to pick it up until n April.  Then missed April by mistake.    Hasn’t happened in 4 or so. Years.     Long credit history.  Fico 8 is at 683.   

Message 4 of 19
Tomew2000
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The answer to that question (assuming it's reported) is very complex and depends on your current credit profile.  Might do very little damage to someone with a thick file who already has lots of recent lates, while someone who has a thin file but scores in the 800s might see them plunge a LOT.  Has it been 30 days since the original due date, meaning that yet another due date has now come and gone?  Has the account been brought current?

Sorry. Didn’t quote.  Yes. I missed March.  Meant to catch up before April due date.  Missed it. Oversight, brought current today.    My Fico 8 is 683.   Last missed pYment 4-5 years ago in a 37 year history 

Message 5 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Tomew2000 wrote:

o@K-in-Boston wrote:

Sorry. Didn’t quote.  Yes. I missed March.  Meant to catch up before April due date.  Missed it. Oversight, brought current today.    My Fico 8 is 683.   Last missed pYment 4-5 years ago in a 37 year history 

I don't know, no one knows. If you're lucky it might not even get reported. What's the point of worrying about it? You've made the payment. There's nothing more you can do about it.

In the future you might want to set up autopay for the minimum amount so that you can never be late again.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 19
Tomew2000
Regular Contributor

I did the simulation on the site here. Only has a 90 day option. Says 57 points for 90 daus
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What creditor did you miss a payment with?

Message 8 of 19
Tomew2000
Regular Contributor

Neiman marcus
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Tomew2000 wrote:

o@K-in-Boston wrote:

I don't know, no one knows. If you're lucky it might not even get reported. What's the point of worrying about it? You've made the payment. There's nothing more you can do about it.

In the future you might want to set up autopay for the minimum amount so that you can never be late again.

Great points by SouthJ all.

I will observe that autopay for minimum wouldn't have helped our OP, if I understood him right.  Autopay is a great strategy to avoid missing a payment by accident (a risk for most of us who have several open cards).  In our OP's case, however, he wanted to miss a required payment -- he consciously decided to do that.  Even with autopay he could have turned it off for a month or two -- if somebody really wants to skip a payment, they are gonna do it.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.