Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Credit Score Quickly

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Increasing Credit Score Quickly

@Anonymous wrote:

I really appreciate your advice.  I need the score to increase ASAP.  When I started the process for purchasing a home I had a FICO score of 653 but in one month it went down to 618.  The only thing that I can find is a collection for $138 that was reported in late Sept. but then reported as paid less than 2 weeks later. 

I'm pretty sure the recent collection is what dropped your score so much. There are ways to get that removed but it is generally not a quick process either.

I'm still a bit confused about credit cards. You say you have no CC's reporting but you also say you have zero balance for revolving accounts. Do you mean you have CC's but they have no balances or are you saying you have no CC's at all? I apologize for my confusion.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I no longer have credit cards.  (I'm the one being confusing, my apologies)

Message 12 of 24
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

IME CC's that have fees usually update to the CRA's the fastest as they already have a balance on them. So the statement is issued fairly quickly. 

Not sure if this has been every one's experience but has been in mine. 

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 13 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I no longer have credit cards.  (I'm the one being confusing, my apologies)

Ouch, that's a score killer. Having open revolving history (revolving = CC's, lines of credit, etc.) is very important in FICO scoring. FICO scores are risk scores, meaning that they attempt to predict your risk of default on a credit product. Since revolving is so much easier to screw up than installment, you're given more points for open, clean revolving history.

If you're going for a mortgage right away, it's probably too late to fix this, as you aren't supposed to app for things within six months of the mortgage application. One option would be if you ever had an American Express card, one that actually came from AmEx, as opposed to a BofA AmEx or Citi AmEx or USAA AmEx etc. If you once had an AmEx card of any type, and you didn't "burn" them (had it charged-off, etc.), you can try to get another AmEx and it will show the year that the first one was opened, so it won't look like a new account. But of course, you'd have to be able to qualify for a card.

And this doesn't apply for cards from any other banks. Just American Express.

eta: I should have gone back and re-read screen one. Most of this is covered there. Smiley Very Happy  I'd say that since your loan originator is advising you to open a secured card, it would be worth following that advice. Otherwise, I don't see any way of getting your score up quickly.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one of those cases where the  impact on your score varies considerably based on what you already have in your credit mix - another one of those one size doesn't fit all thingies.

Folks with somewhat established credit often see a score hit when opening new accounts, thus the advice to avoid applications 6 months before app'ing for a mortgage.

Folks with no credit cards, and with no bank revolving accounts will see a significant score increase, and it is fine to app before a mortgage.  In fact, it's beneficial as the score increase is to your advantage.

In this case, OP's biggest struggle is going to be his time frame.  But app'ing for and opening a bank/national credit card is the right thing to do, and the sooner the better IMO.  If you knew it would report today - then all would be well.  OP's FICO would jump.  Typically, we're seeing 20 point jumps for this scenario on these boards, and that is what DH and I both experienced as well.

On a slightly different note, DH and I surprised ourselves by refinancing last year - about a year before we planned to.  We had just app'd for several cards (I think DH had four new cards, and I think I had 3).  They were all on the reports and all one month old.  Smiley Surprised  Our scores were fine (we knew that) but I was concerned with our new accounts.  Our loan officer went over our reports quite thoroughly - not a single eyebrow as much as twitched.  However, we were (are) rebuilders and it was the right thing to do.  Established folks have to take a different tack.

OP - what is your time frame?  I hate to see you put in a last minute rush.  What is your loan officer saying (btw - he/she doesn't seem very FICO savvy as is often the case) about timing?

ETA:  And I hope Hauling's suggestion works out perfectly for you - if you have had an Amex, it would be a golden solution.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked the loan officer to send me over the CIC report and my scores are Experian 642, Equifax 618 and TransUniom is 602 but reported an error detection.  This is the reply I received,

"Credit came back at a 618, two points shy of getting you approved. According to our analyzer You can raise your score ~20 points on each bureau if you get a secured credit card with a $500 balance or unsecured card and charge only $10 on it. PNC, Commonwealth Bank, Bank of American, Orchard bank all offers these cards. Orchard bank will probably get you your card and report the fastest (call them for details). Once that is done, we will get you rescored, then submit your file to underwriting. Depending on how fast your card arrives, I would estimate the whole process taking 30-45 days. I am going to check with our credit vendor to see if they have any other options since we are so very close to a 620."

Unfortuantley, no AMEX for me.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked the loan officer to send me over the CIC report and my scores are Experian 642, Equifax 618 and TransUniom is 602 but reported an error detection.  This is the reply I received,

"Credit came back at a 618, two points shy of getting you approved. According to our analyzer You can raise your score ~20 points on each bureau if you get a secured credit card with a $500 balance or unsecured card and charge only $10 on it. PNC, Commonwealth Bank, Bank of American, Orchard bank all offers these cards. Orchard bank will probably get you your card and report the fastest (call them for details). Once that is done, we will get you rescored, then submit your file to underwriting. Depending on how fast your card arrives, I would estimate the whole process taking 30-45 days. I am going to check with our credit vendor to see if they have any other options since we are so very close to a 620."

Unfortuantley, no AMEX for me.

Okay, that helps a lot. 

I just posted this somewhere else, so it's fresh in my mind.  I app'd for Orchard on 12/30/08 and I received my card fairly quickly.  It reported on my CR's for the first time on 2/16/09.  So that's about six weeks.

DH also app'd for Orchard on 12/30/08 and he received his card quite a bit later - sometime in February.  It reported on his CR's for the first time on 3/13/09.  So about ten weeks.  We definitely didn't feel that his reported quickly. 

However, we really liked Orchard as a rebuilder.  Just very slow on the startup - especially for him.

DH app'd for BofA on 7/9/09 and it reported on his CR's on 7/24/09.  About 15 days.

All of the above cards were unsecured.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really appreciate your assitance with all of this!

Message 18 of 24
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Not sure if this would be reliable but worth trying. 

Call the bank up that you want to apply to. Speak to some one and ask them if they know when they will report to the CRA's for your first statement if approved. If you are happy with what they say put your application in with them on the phone and apply. If not move to the next bank you are interested in applying with. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 19 of 24
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm gone for a few hours and look what all happens!! It sounds like you are in good hands though. I can't think of anything to add.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.