Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a list of known thresholds?

tag
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Is there a list of known thresholds?

I know the utilization thresholds (e.g. 8.9%, 28.9%, etc). And, I'm aware of (but do not know the specifics) the AAoA, AoOA, and AoYA thresholds but I'd like to know what the other known thresholds exist. Some example:s

• Do thresholds exist for "Time Since Negative?"
  • What are the impact of crossing mortgage thresholds (or other installment loans) vs revolver thresholds?

I think it would be useful in a chart and, ideally, it would include estimates of score impact. And, if not already available, I would be happy to chart if someone can send me the info. I know it would help me so, I assume it could help others; particularly when trying to assess garden goals.

27 REPLIES 27
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Is there a list of known thresholds?

It's hard to pin down age thresholds because they can vary by score and scorecard. Also, they can frequently be camouflaged by other events.

A nice bump for AoYA reaching a year is to be expected, though. And it appears that 78 months might be an AAoA threshold on at least some Experian scores.

Message 2 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

There are thresholds for time since negative, most notably there's an entire reason code for "recent deliquency"

It's probably a round 1 or 2 year metric, coming up on 1 year with my own deliquency will see, and there's a scorecard segmentation metric on old vs. new derogatory information too seemingly for FICO 8, not sure where that is, 4-5 years probably.

Installment utilization does have breakpoints, one well characterized at 8.99%, and while I have pretty good data suggesting there is another breakpoint somewhere north of 50% it's been troublesome for people to nail down.

There's some handwaving chart data on lates and that's as good as it's going to get really, everyone's profile is different and there isn't enough data to make truly concrete estimates but it's good enough for government work.  Guessing someone will post it in the next day or two heh.

        
Message 3 of 28
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Helpful! Thanks Revelate

What about inquiries? I know they become unscoreable after 1 year but are there earlier points where they start to wear off (e.g. at 3 months, 6 months, etc).

In the near-term, I'm simply curious what scoring benefit I may or may not see in April/May when:

• My most recent late-payment hits two years
  • I have six HP's that will hit 6 months old
  • Lastly, once I know and pay my tax bill, I plan to make a big payment on my mortgage to bring it below 48.9% util

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most (myself included) do not believe that there is any scoring benefit to the aging of inquiries inside of 365 days.  The points lost, X, that are realized upon the taking on of an inquiry are equal to what comes back after Day 365; X points exactly should return all at once.

Based on the bullet points you wrote above, I'd say perhaps your most recent baddie aging past 24 months could result in some slight gains.  I would expect no gains at all from inquiries reaching 6 months in age and I'm not sure you'd see any benefit from the mortgage being paid down across 50% utilization.  Most believe that mortgages are considered "significantly paid down" at some point around 70% utilization, meaning that maximum FICO points may be realized at that time, similar to the points realized from a different installment loan type paid down below 8.9%.  Any other gains along the way IMO would be trivial, say a couple of points.

Message 5 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I have concrete data that EQ FICO 5 at least does not have any inquiries fading at all during the course of the year.

I don't think FICO 8 does either but I didn't have good FICO 8 access back then for testing purposes.

        
Message 6 of 28
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both. That's very heelpful. 

Message 7 of 28
moosemoney
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most (myself included) do not believe that there is any scoring benefit to the aging of inquiries inside of 365 days.  The points lost, X, that are realized upon the taking on of an inquiry are equal to what comes back after Day 365; X points exactly should return all at once.

Based on the bullet points you wrote above, I'd say perhaps your most recent baddie aging past 24 months could result in some slight gains.  I would expect no gains at all from inquiries reaching 6 months in age and I'm not sure you'd see any benefit from the mortgage being paid down across 50% utilization.  Most believe that mortgages are considered "significantly paid down" at some point around 70% utilization, meaning that maximum FICO points may be realized at that time, similar to the points realized from a different installment loan type paid down below 8.9%.  Any other gains along the way IMO would be trivial, say a couple of points.

Anectodal, but in August 2018 I got a notification that my Mortgage had been significantly paid down and I got a 20 point jump when my utilization had dropped from 83% to 82%.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@moosemoney wrote:

Anectodal, but in August 2018 I got a notification that my Mortgage had been significantly paid down and I got a 20 point jump when my utilization had dropped from 83% to 82%.

When you say you got a notification, through what means?  Interesting that you saw a 20 point jump there.  This would be in line with the score jump expected from crossing the 8.9% threshold on a non-mortgage installment loan.  Also when you referenced 83% --> 82%, can you provide the exact (decimal) percentage points out to at least tenths?  With rounding I'm curious if the proposed threshold here is at 82% or 83%.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BBS: so mortgages are considered significantly paid down somewhere in the 70 to 80% range and therefore maximum points are given, but you said for non-mortgage installment the magic number is 8.9%. Is a car loan considered a mortgage installment loan since the vehicle is mortgaged? So would maximum points be given on a car loan at somewhere around 80% as well?
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.