Did you mean: 

Late pays and scoring thresholds

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Late pays and scoring thresholds

@medicgrrl wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Nice chart - I've seen that before. The age impact is a bit generalized as 90 day lates impact score with little relief for 7 years. Impact of 60 day and 30 day lates fade away.

An isolated 30 day late will drop score for a couple years. However, for Fico 8 at least, it does not mean your profile is assigned a dirty profile. You can be on a clean scorecard with a 30 day late.

Will the impact of 30 and 60 day lates still fade away in the first 2 years if you have an older account with major derogs?  Last major was almost 4 years ago on only one account.  Most recent lates are 1 30 and 1 60 in September 2016.  Majority of accounts have perfect payment history.

ETA:  Although, based on the above charts, I'm not sure if they are "major" or "minor" derogs anymore!  90 day lates in 2013.  Recent 30 & 60 day lates in September 2016

The FICO formula considers the recency of a late payment. In other words, a late payment in the past six months will be more severe than a late payment five years ago. However, FICO scores factor in the severity of the late payment. A 90-day late payment is more severe than a 30-day late payment. The scoring models also look at the number of late payments on a credit file. Thus, one late payment may reflect a simple oversight, but five late payments potentially reflect a more serious financial problem.

It is hard to say how your score would react given the 90 day late will still be on file and the presence of multiple lates. I suspect you won't see the same score improvement as you would if the 90 day late were not on file..

BBS has been through this and can provide more insightful feedback on how scores react to changes in late payment status on CRA reports.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 21 of 24
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Pasted below is a nice write-up from credit.com along with a link to the article

https://www.credit.com/credit-reports/late-payment-secrets-revealed/

How Long Do Late Payments Stay on a Credit Report?

Most negative items, including late payments, can stay on your credit reports for seven years, but not all negative information is equally damaging. Here’s the first late payment secret you need to know: A payment that is 30 or 60 days late isn’t going to have as serious an effect on your credit score as a payment that’s 90 days past due.

Because scoring systems are focused on predicting whether or not you’ll go at least 90 days late, a 30- or 60-day late payment that occurred long ago is actually not that damaging to your credit scores, as long as it is an isolated incident. It’s when your accounts are recently reported 30 or 60 days past due on your credit reports that your credit scores plummet temporarily.

How Much Does a Late Payment Hurt My Credit Score?

If 30- or 60-day late payments are an infrequent occurrence, they shouldn’t cause lasting damage to your credit score unless they are recent (last two years or so) or occur on a regular basis. In this case, the fact that you are habitually late with your payments can cause long-term damage to your credit scores.

It’s a whole new ballgame once you have a 90-day late payment, however. If you have been more than 90 days late (even just once), the credit scoring models consider you much more likely to do it again. One 90-day late payment will damage your credit for up to seven years. From a scoring perspective, a single 90-day late payment is as damaging to your credit scores as a bankruptcy filing, a tax lien, a collection, a judgment or repossession. Being 90 days late causes you to be viewed as a possible “repeat offender” and a higher risk to creditors. Here’s a summary of how late payments impact your credit scores:

• 30 days late: This record will damage your credit scores most when it is recent. The exception is if you are 30 days late often. Otherwise, a single 30-day late payment should not cause lasting damage.
  • 60 days late: Similarly, recent 60-day late payments cause the most damage. Again, the exception is if you are 60 days late often which will certainly hurt your scores. Otherwise, one late payment should not cause long term damage.
  • 90 days late: This record will damage your credit scores significantly for up to seven years. It doesn’t make a difference whether or not your account is currently 90 days late. Remember, the goal of the scoring model is to predict whether or not you will pay 90 days late or later on any credit obligation. If you have already done so you’re considered more likely to do it again compared to someone who has never been 90 days late. As such, your credit scores will drop.
  • 120+ days late: Late payment reporting beyond the initial 90-day missed payment does not cause additional credit score damage directly. However, there is an indirect impact to your scores. At this point, your debt is usually “charged off” or sold to a third-party collection agency. Both of these occurrences are reported on your credit files and will lower your credit scores further.
  • If you continue to miss your payments beyond 90 or 120 days, the following records may also harm your credit score:
  • Collections: Collections are the result of late payments. There are two types of collections: Those that have been sold to a third-party collection agency or those that have been turned over to an internal collection department. Regardless of which one shows up on your credit reports, your scores will suffer.
  • Charge-offs: If you fail to make payments on a credit account for 120 days or longer, the creditor may mark the account as “charged off,” meaning they have written off your debt as a loss. A charge-off is a negative notation on your credit report (it can remain there for seven years), because it shows you did not repay the account as agreed, even if you later pay off the debt. And just because the creditor doesn’t expect to get that money back doesn’t mean the debt disappears. The creditor or the third-party collector it sold the debt to can continue to try to collect the debt as long as the state’s statute of limitations allows it to.
  • Repossessions or Foreclosures: Having a home foreclosed upon or a car repossessed are both considered serious delinquencies and will lower your credit scores considerably for up to seven years. The assumption normally made by the consumer is “Hey, I gave the home or car back to the lender, why are they going to show me as delinquent?” The answer you’ll get from lenders is that you signed a contract with them to buy a home or car and pay it in full over a period of time. You failed to do so; therefore they consider you to be in default of your agreement with them and will report this on your credit reports.
  • Now that our late payment secrets have been revealed, let’s look at what it means to you: You should avoid making late payments whenever possible. But we now know that one 30- or 60-day late payment isn’t the end of the world. Since 90-day late payments are the real credit score busters, you should avoid a 90-day late payment at all costs.
Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 22 of 24
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Thank you so much everyone! All of this info has been invaluable in helping me help them prepare to refinance. I think they'll be ready in July.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I had a recent 30 day late payment and my score dropped by 40 points across all 3 credit bureaus. I paid off that payment right away and I noticed that my score on TransUnion jumped by 50 points after it showed that my past due payment was taken care off
Given that this is my only bad mark and everything else looks great on my
Report, is there a chance that my score will go up by 20-30 points on equifax or Experian in next 6 months ?
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.