Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Makes NO sense...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes NO sense...

Notification on 7/15 - Balance increased by $11...Equifax score goes down 5 points.

Notification on 7/16 - Balance decreased by $80...Equifax score doesn't change.

Notification on 7/17 - Balance decreased by $175...Equifax score doesn't change.

Yeah, this makes total sense.

Fico scores are such a joke...some secret algorithm that comes up with numbers that make no sense...a random number generator would make more sense than this.  And yet, almost every important purchase (home, car, etc) depends on these numbers.  I'd like to think one day they'll get it right, but I doubt it..too much money in "fixing" credit scores...

And funny how my scores are going down now that my subscription is about to expire...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Makes NO sense...

@Anonymous wrote:

Notification on 7/15 - Balance increased by $11...Equifax score goes down 5 points.

Notification on 7/17 - Balance decreased by $175...Equifax score doesn't change.

Fico scores are such a joke...some secret algorithm that comes up with numbers that make no sense...a random number generator would make more sense than this.  And yet, almost every important purchase (home, car, etc) depends on these numbers.  I'd like to think one day they'll get it right, but I doubt it..too much money in "fixing" credit scores...

And funny how my scores are going down now that my subscription is about to expire...

Yeah, I'm sure there's a correlation.

Message 2 of 8
tufa4311
Established Contributor

And yet, almost every important purchase (home, car, etc) depends on these numbers.  I'd like to think one day they'll get it right, but I doubt it..too much money in "fixing" credit scores...

At this point I'm not taking sides, just surmising - FICO, just like most of the other credit score companies, is a private, for profit, corporation that is selling a service. In the free market anyone is able to make a product or provide a service in direct competition with any other such product or service on the market. And the theory of a free market is that the best of those products and services will beat out the rest. If we are to believe the media and FICO themself, the FICO score is used by 90% of lenders. Why do you think that is? Do you think it's possible that over time raw data has shown it to be the best predictor of good credit practices? Again, I'm not making statements here, rather I'm asking questions. In the free market do you think that the majority of lenders would use a model that was failing, that said a person would be a good credit risk but actually ended up paying their bills late?

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 3 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If your first balance was an increase from $0, and your others were not decreases to $0, that pattern is perfectly reasonable.

Revolving utilization calculates on 3 different metrics, and one of those is number of revolving tradelines (credit cards and LOC's pretty much) with balances as compared to your number of revolving tradelines total.  As a repeatable example with my own 9 tradelines:

2->3 w/balance: 3 point drop

4->5 w/balance: 4 point drop.

        
Message 4 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It actually is an algorithm that makes some sense, although it is not obvious.

As Revelate notes, the number of balances can make a difference, so this list of changes you have above is not enough to make any kind of projection of what is going on in your file.

What are your current scores on all three bureaus from your latest Alerts? what were they a month ago? two months ago?

How many cards do you have? what are their CL? what are their open balance amounts? Which were affected by the three changes above?

Do you have any negatives (lates, charge offs, BK) in your past credit history?

Do you have any Inquiries in the last year, 6 months?

Only with all this other information can the folks here help with any sort of perspective on why the particular changes happened.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very little has occurred in the past 6 months....actually, very little has occurred in the last +12 months.  No new cards, no mortgage, no auto loan, no hard inquiries...all 3 still scores remain in the 750's.  Well, equifax is now 749.  I maintain anywhere from $100-$300 balances on my cards (3 of them) with all of the CL $5000 or higher....can't tell you how many weeks where I've received the report has remained clear. 

Only thing different is that I'm cancelling my monthly subscription for the tracking and now my equifax score decreases by 5 points for an increase of one account by $11?    And no changes when other accounts were paid down significantly more than that?  Doesn't seem right to me...

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Very little has occurred in the past 6 months....actually, very little has occurred in the last +12 months.  No new cards, no mortgage, no auto loan, no hard inquiries...all 3 still scores remain in the 750's.  Well, equifax is now 749.  I maintain anywhere from $100-$300 balances on my cards (3 of them) with all of the CL $5000 or higher....can't tell you how many weeks where I've received the report has remained clear. 

Only thing different is that I'm cancelling my monthly subscription for the tracking and now my equifax score decreases by 5 points for an increase of one account by $11?    And no changes when other accounts were paid down significantly more than that?  Doesn't seem right to me...

I cancelled my monthly subscription 10 days ago, (it ends tomorrow), and since then my scores haven't changed. It ain't MyFico seeking revenge on you.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never said they were...just said it makes no sense for my score to go down 5 points.  Which is doesn't...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.