Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minor data point on CC utilization

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Minor data point on CC utilization

When 1 card went from 31% utilization to zero, & overall CC utilization went from 3% to 1%, TU & EX added 2 points in FICO8.

# of cards went from 4/19 to 3/19.

My sense is that it was the 1 card at 31% that was the difference.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
JLK93
Established Contributor

Re: Minor data point on CC utilization

Interesting observation. You are very likely right. High utilization on one card usually affects my score even with overall utilization <1%.

In my currrent bucket, going from 3 to 4 cards, out of 28, reporting a balance caused a 2 point drop in TU 08, even with per card utilization <1% and overall utilization <1%.

Going from 1 to 2 cards caused a 2 point drop in TU 04.

In my current buckets, Experian and Equifax FICOs are unbelievably stable.

Message 2 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

When 1 card went from 31% utilization to zero, & overall CC utilization went from 3% to 1%, TU & EX added 2 points in FICO8.

Hrm, not sure I buy that on EX: I don't drop points for much higher utilizations than that as a fellow dirty file... I can't test your TU finding personally.

I'm planning to do a detailed analysis soon with my brand spanking new $200 Discover Secured from whatever the minimum is ($2 presumably) all the way up to 100% and everywhere in between and try to nail down this stupid individual tradeline utilization which has been out in the wind for way too long without concrete data.

        
Message 3 of 13
JLK93
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Hrm, not sure I buy that on EX: I don't drop points for much higher utilizations than that as a fellow dirty file... I can't test your TU finding personally.

I'm planning to do a detailed analysis soon with my brand spanking new $200 Discover Secured from whatever the minimum is ($2 presumably) all the way up to 100% and everywhere in between and try to nail down this stupid individual tradeline utilization which has been out in the wind for way too long without concrete data.

If you let $2 report, Discover will eat the $2 and report $0.

Message 4 of 13
JLK93
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I had a similar result on EX 08:

Experian 08
  1/17/20161/18/21061/21/2016
# Cards Reporting Balances 5 of 335 of 335 of 33
Aggregate Utilization < 1%< 1%< 1%
Highest Individual Card Utilization 8.10%15.50%8.10%

Experian FICO 8 816813816

Message 5 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@oilcan12 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Ah thanks for the heads up; I had heard Discover did something akin to that but didn't know where their line was... worst case $5 will be fine for this purpose I suspect.

        
Message 6 of 13
JLK93
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Ah thanks for the heads up; I had heard Discover did something akin to that but didn't know where their line was... worst case $5 will be fine for this purpose I suspect.

$3 works fine.

Message 7 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

So you don't think 80%, 50% 30%, and 10% are pretty solid?

Message 8 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@oilcan12 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I had a similar result on EX 08:

Experian 08.png

It does look that way

Message 9 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

So you don't think 80%, 50% 30%, and 10% are pretty solid?

Certainly not on all scorecards and or on all bureaus.  Individual tradelines I've gone up to ~72% without penalty, but I've also been at 93% and did see a drop there; unfortunately my one test at 88% got lost as a result of Chase's mid-cycle reporting which I was unaware of at the time, oopsie.  We still have folks suggesting 90% is maxxed out, and others suggesting 80%, which effectively shows we haven't come to a good conclusion on that.  Really the way people push their limits here makes it unfeasible for most people to test it unless you're in my situation where credit is kinda irrelevant at this point in time... and a throwaway tradeline makes absolutely no difference: I can't really test it on my other lowest tradeline ($2500) without carrying balances, but I will be spending $200 during a month still repeatedly.

I think 10% and 30% are aggregate boundaries but aggregate and individual are scored differently and there's nothing to suggest they're the same in the implementation either.

        
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.