Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My String of Lates: How They've Been Handled So Far

tag
RWJr

My String of Lates: How They've Been Handled So Far

Here’s the background:

I started November 2020 with a string of late payments—February ’14 to September ’14—on three USAA accounts. 

Here’s what’s happened so far:

Transunion: Nothing. I suspect they will delete each late payment two months early (i.e., starting next month), at least that’s what they did with another string of late payments on the same accounts. 

Equifax: On November 1, they deleted the February ’14 late payments, leaving the remaining seven late payments unchanged. This likely means the entire strings will be deleted by June ’21.

Experian: Today, they deleted the entire string on all three accounts. And importantly, they left the accounts in tact, with the only difference being that the previous late payments now show as “No Data.” 

My score jumped from 768 to 847. It likely would have jumped to 850 absent my $1500 balance on my Chase Sapphire Preferred. (The limit is $25,000; my total limits are $145,000.). Or, it likely would have done so absent my new account (i.e., an 11-month old Blue Cash Preferred). Now that I have a clean scorecard, I should gain a few points on December 1 or the account’s one-year mark. 

And last, many on MyFico condemn the simulator as unreliable, unpredictable, or unworthy. Not me. It rightly predicted that my 24 lates would cap my score at 768. (I reached 769.) It also rightly predicted that my score would jump to 850 once the lates were gone. It largely did. 

For me, the simulator is the real MVP! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My String of Lates: How They've Been Handled So Far

@RWJr wrote:

Here’s the background:

I started November 2020 with a string of late payments—February ’14 to September ’14—on three USAA accounts. 

Here’s what’s happened so far:

Transunion: Nothing. I suspect they will delete each late payment two months early (i.e., starting next month), at least that’s what they did with another string of late payments on the same accounts. 

Equifax: On November 1, they deleted the February ’14 late payments, leaving the remaining seven late payments unchanged. This likely means the entire strings will be deleted by June ’21.

Experian: Today, they deleted the entire string on all three accounts. And importantly, they left the accounts in tact, with the only difference being that the previous late payments now show as “No Data.” 

My score jumped from 768 to 847. It likely would have jumped to 850 absent my $1500 balance on my Chase Sapphire Preferred. (The limit is $25,000; my total limits are $145,000.). Or, it likely would have done so absent my new account (i.e., an 11-month old Blue Cash Preferred). Now that I have a clean scorecard, I should gain a few points on December 1 or the account’s one-year mark. 

And last, many on MyFico condemn the simulator as unreliable, unpredictable, or unworthy. Not me. It rightly predicted that my 24 lates would cap my score at 768. (I reached 769.) It also rightly predicted that my score would jump to 850 once the lates were gone. It largely did. 

For me, the simulator is the real MVP! 

Congrats!

How you described is exactly how each bureau handles lates aging off 

All the accounts shiuld remain intact and remain for roughly 10 years after closed. The only time the entire TL falls off is if the account ended badly (CO/CA/FC/Repo/FC/BK, etc.).

Soon the other 2 bureaus will be clean! Again, congrats!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.